Saturday, February 17, 2007

unexpected places


i did not really expect to wake up joyful today. after all, the weather has been dreadfully cold and yucky, and my life hasn't been a whole lot warmer.

phillip has been having some stress too, so a week ago i decided to get him his birthday present early. he does not have a bike and wants one. unlike me, he actually rides a bike - mine, since i've known him - so i decided to go for it and get him his own, winter or not.

i have purchased a bike before from a local specialty shop. i feel silly in those places, like a middle-aged lady who gardens (hmmm. wonder why i would feel like that?!) anyway, this time was no different, when i went in there last weekend to order the bike. i knew what i wanted, had already done my homework on the internet.

so, i stood there, watching all the cool biker types standing around. some of them had winter gear on and obviously bike in FEBRUARY. in south dakota. wow.

finally, a guy waited on me. he seemed pleasant enough, was young, cute and also looked alot more "hip" than me. he didn't openly acknowledge that i was a fish out of water, so i was thankful for that ... he sold me the bike, and called yesterday and to tell me the bike was in.

so, i jumped in the truck this morning when it looked like the sun was going to peek out today, because i want to surprise phillip this weekend. the bike LOOKS really good. i laughed and told the sales guy that looks were my biggest concern ;)

anyway, long story short, when he loaded it up in the back of my car, he saw my book from bible group called "the prayer that changes everything" - and said to me, "hey, what do you think of that book?"

for a minute, i had no idea what he was talking about. did i have a hip young guy book in my back seat that i didn't know about? when i saw it was THAT book, i said "oh, yes! that's a great book, primarily it's about worship."

and he looked at me and said "cool. well, that is what it's really all about, right?"

oh man. my spirit just soared. a brother in Christ. right there i found him, in the parking lot in the middle of February in the snow and slush and a place i hadn't anticipated he would be. we smiled at each other, and the young hip guy gave me that "i know what you know and it is GOOD" look that the Lord has shown me before with unexpected people.

and you know what? it IS about Him, and i DO worship Him for that!!!!! heck, who knows - maybe He is even saying i will be a hip biker type in His place for me someday!!

2 comments:

Chris said...

Wow, really cool post! I am always amazed when God reveals to me another Christian. I love it!

Karen said...

You are going to be a hip biker-type and I'm going to have a rockin' voice...and a chocolate fountain, so come on over!