Sunday, February 11, 2007

clique here


recently a good friend asked me how she should go about getting more readers for her blog. she has been blogging for awhile, and must have noticed that usually there are a few comments on my musings.

it got me thinking about this blog circle thing. in some ways, it reminds me of grade school when you spent your time on the playground with those people you had the most "in common" with...but as we get older, hopefully, those circles tend to overlap a bit.

i have more circles of friends now, mostly because i have learned that one size does not fit all with friends. what is important is just to connect on some level, not every single level in your life. so i'm taking stock of THIS group, the blogging friends, and thinking about where they come from.

first off, there are old friends who come to my blog. like my friend kirsten. i wish all of you guys would read her blog, it is so great! it's unique, like her. kirst and i have been friends since about 1988, when i worked at sdsu and she came to apply for a job in my dept. she was fresh off the bus with a transfer from the u. of minn, having followed her boyfriend (now husband) who was getting his masters degree in brookeville. we became friends pretty quickly, as i recall. she was "cooler" than i and had that city vibe that a small-town girl like me never did really master. we both liked alot of the same things then that we do now, even though our lives are very different. i stayed single and had a business instead of babies, and she has long since left the work world for the valiant task of staying home with her 3 great kids (and um, 44 pets :)) - and a husband! - and we still like to garden, crochet, eat, gab and lounge together. her blog comments remind me of how much i love her, and how much she knows about me, and i about her. it's good.

then, there are a couple other old friends, some comment and some don't. that's okay, i am glad you guys are here too :)

then, there are the "design girls" - the women who like me, have careers as art directors. i LOVE having these women in my life. they are the ones that i can spend hours and hours and hours talking about what is pretty and why. i cannot imagine these girls not being in my life. my friend c. calls it "playing barbies" when we get together and that is just what it is...!

then, there is one boy - that i know of - who reads. he is a former co-worker and has pretty much heard about all of the dramatic stuff in my life. and i in his. he also fixes my web and email problems and helps me move :)) he is great.

then, there are one or two "clients" - i use the parenthesis, because these are specifically the kind of clients that i might share more in common with than most clients. these are the clients that i kind of would rather have as friends. the other ones do not know i have a blog :)

then, there are carey's friends. well, i should rephrase that. there is carey. she has been my "husband" for the last 10 or 11 years, and she is very popular it seems. we joke that in any other part of our lives, we probably would not have been friends. she is tall and beautiful and athletic and nice. i am short and quirky looking and artsy and kind of bossy :)) ha ha. but lucky for me, she writes words and i make pictures, and somebody paid us both money a long time ago to forge a wonderful friendship while we worked.

and as for her friends, they are awesome too! i have heard about all of them for years, the sdsu days, the chick reunions, the stories. lots and lots of stories, and even itty bitty pictures in my head of who these women are. oh, and there is even a new friend or two that she has picked up SINCE sdsu. all of them seem to blog, which is GREAT for me. it's like i went back to school and all of a sudden got to sit at the popular girls table :)) at least that is what these women are to me. they are funny, smart, kind, vulnerable, good people. and i like getting to be a part of their day thru this silly blog.

then, of course, there is the Lord! He blogs, you know. not always, but quite often. i see that He frequents many of the other blogs i read too, in the stories and the kids and the husbands and the love and concern and support that pours out onto the posts.

and that is it, i think. all i know is, if blogging is cliquish, i think we are all in the "in" crowd :))

11 comments:

Chris said...

I am so glad to be a part of this Blog click as well. You all mean so much to me. And even though, I can't keep up with some of your blogs as much as I wish I could. I love every moment I spend reading. Oh, and I know God is definitely the most blogger of them all.

Karen said...

Man, how I fought this blogging thing! I think, no, I know, that God knew that while the writing would be therapeutic, the support I receive from you guys would be invaluable. He uses you guys to keep my head above water, and I'm thankful for you. So...having said that, let me extend an invitation to Kirsten. I think that if you start commenting on other people's blogs, you will find that they do the same in return. Welcome to the family!

K~ said...

Thanks for the help Bobbi. Can I get a list of links to some of the blogs? I used to see them on your blog, but I am probably looking in the wrong place. Oh, by the way my email's spell check fell off!!! So, it's back to phonetic reading for everyone again. Sorry!! K~

bobbione8y said...

hey kirst, hope you can join the crowd here :)

if you just click on the blue names (like right here on chris and karens) you go to the websites :))

i don't know how to add links on my blog anymore, does not seem to work!

yes, i have noticed the spelling :))

carey said...

we can all thank rani for this. she's the cool girl who started blogging long before i knew what it was. through her blogs and her fight with cancer, i saw the power of Girl Power. It's right up there with God Power.
kirsten, just click on our names and come on in. there are no snotty tables in this crowd :)

Cassie said...

LOVE making new friends. I promise to start commenting on some of the other blogs I've been reading for months :o)

and b - we should set up another time for "barbies" - i've got some fun new stuff to show and I bet you do too!

bobbione8y said...

hey Cass!!

yes, are you ever coming to sf again?

i will probably not be going to st paul until spring now :))

b

bobbione8y said...

oh yes!!!

it's all rani's fault, i forgot to mention that, even tho i was thinking of her when i mentioned carey's OTHER friends :))

b

Karen said...

ARE YOU REALLY GOING TO GO A WHOLE DAY WITHOUT POSTING??? ARE YOU OK? HAVE YOU FALLEN AND CAN'T GET UP? SEND BEAN FOR HELP!!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the credit, but it was an old college buddy who loved getting my emails who finally convinced me to get on the blog boat... I am so glad I did I have met an amazing group of women and I love hearing their stories and reading about their relationships with their significant others, kids and the LORD. Hallelujah! It sort of free therapy for me. I can get all my words out and read some other great inspiring posts at the time. It is an addiciton! Thanks for sharing your blogs with me.

Anonymous said...

Sexchat

Telefonsex Zugang

Amateur Sex