Tuesday, February 13, 2007

falling apart together


i had a "meltdown" day this weekend, based on a few unsettling things going on in life, and a yucky feeling inside of me that i just could not shake.

when this happens, i usually START the meltdown with one particular event. this time, it was all about the levis.

phillip is getting ready to get a new job (construction) and is going out on interviews...he asked me to pick up a pair of levis for him when i was out and about and i gladly obliged. see, you guys all know about the spending fast, but it doesn't count when i am spending for somebody else :))

so, to the mall i went. i admit i went a little nuts - but i could tell SOMETHING was up the minute i walked into JC Penney. it was crazy nuts busy. there was a sale in the air. as i walked PAST the shoes, i saw that women had boxes of shoes on the floor and were frantically trying on shoes in the aisle. i stopped, and saw that EVERYTHING was 75% off. omg. i actually tried on a pair of suede brown slouch boots that looked like the movie footloose. then i remembered that i'm not in the 80s anymore, and also remembered my mission.

so, onto jeans. the mens jean department is a vast vast area in JC Penney. they have alot of clothes there. phillip and i have shopped there before, even though he steadfastly believes that "walmart has everything you could ever possibly need." right away, i found the levis. luckily, he likes levis or i would probably not date him. and since he said he was needing these for work, i figured levis 501s would be good. lucky for me, they were on sale. $32.99 a pair. i noticed that the "prewashed" pair was especially nice. the bottoms were slightly worn, but otherwise they had a nice overall softness, and broken in feel. good to go.

by the time i got out of the store, i had purchased 2 dress shirts ($6 each), a couple long sleeve waffle knit shirts ($5 each), a pair of "questionable" black jeans with stitching on the pockets - cute but perhaps men would find them weird ($7), and some new gloves for him. i felt like a good wife-to-be. all was well.

um, until he saw them. he didn't say anything, and of course the first words out of my mouth were "do you like those levis?" i asked, not IMAGINING there would be any problem. and here is what he said....

"babe, i thought you were just going to get a pair of NORMAL jeans..."

that was it. camel's back broken. what followed was crying, semi-yelling, the "you always do this" talk and hours in the bathtub soaking and praying :) oh Lord. finally yesterday, i started to come out of it. and last night when we talked, phillip spoke out all of the things that we both know are true about our relationship, and also "thank you for buying me the levis, i will wear them proudly."

whew. i'd almost rather go shopping with carey.

oh. ps. went to the jcpenney website, and i believe the correct jeans for this occasion would have been the 505 "workwear" line. sheesh.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

I know exactly what you mean - my meltdown was this morning and it was about a towl rack. Well, the thing I choose to meltdown about was the towel rack. I went back to my bedroom to fume and pout and took a few deep breaths and thought about what was REALLY upsetting me. I realized it was more about my deadlines at work, the yucky cold weather that won't go away, feeling bad because I've been eating way too much -- lots of things but what really didn't matter was weather the towel rack should be 2 inches high or if he had a certain "tone" in his voice when we were discussing the towel rack. Anyway, I apologized and being the kind and gentle man he is, he listened to my real problems and made me feel better. It sounds like we are both blessed to have good men in our lives.

bobbione8y said...

yes, when we talked about all of the other stuff that really was bothering me, i was actually able to pinpoint the "combustion" to the choice of the word NORMAL in his sentence.

:) phillip made me feel lots better too, we are both pretty blessed from the sound of it!

Susan said...

It is the meltdown time of year. I usually go into a funk around this time have a really good cry and move on. So glad all is well.

Cassie said...

i can't even count how many times I've done the same thing with dave. just that one little thing sets me off. it's SO funny when it happens now because dave knows I have this 3-4 month cry cycle. once every three months or so I just break down, WAY down. and he knows now that I tend to let everything build up and stuck inside until I just... burst. and cry and cry and cry. he's figured out he just needs to hold me tight and smooch my head until it's over. then he always makes things much better by cracking a few jokes about the situation and usually ends with, "i guess you are allowed to act like a girl every once in a while"...

Karen said...

I guess that would explain why you didn't post anything yesterday, eh? So glad you're feeling better!

bobbione8y said...

thanks for all the comments girls!

somehow, i KNEW you would understand what i was going thru ;)

today is indeed a better day.

SDGuy91 said...

Hmmm...I certainly don't want to scratch an open wound here...but...

I wore 501's in high school. I could no sooner "pour myself" into them now than you could fit a basketball into your mouth. They are just too tight-fitting. Now the 560s on the other hand....ahhhh, plenty 'o room.

And these days, I'm into the $14.88 Wranglers from Wal-Mart. Sorry B...I gotta go with Phillip on this one.