Sunday, February 04, 2007

put up a good fight

oh, i have had a great couple of "girl" days!

yesterday my friend (and mentor!) kit and i went to a movie, then had a quick cup of soup and a motivating talk!

it brought me back to my "old life" a bit. see, when i became a christian, i was a pretty tough broad on the outside. i had made my way thru the work world (which was where i got my primary identity, cause the relationship thing had never quite taken hold) by not taking any crap, by beating up those who were quieter than me, and by standing on my "smarts," my pride and my supposedly secure position of power in my workplace and therefore my life...sure, i was kind to a select, chosen few because they offered up something in return, but on the whole, i actually was living a complete and total LIE. and i didn't even know it.

i was really, really a mess. i WAS doing what i thought was necessary to "make it" and to be a successful woman. but i think i made the mistake of alot of women in the work world by falling for the lie that you have to act "tough" to get somewhere. oh, i could go on and on about the flawed thinking that got me to my sorry state at that time, but that's not really the point of this post.

long story short, kit recommended a book for me i am just dying to read. it's called "Fight like a girl" and amazon describes it's author like this: (Bevere) lays down the gauntlet again as she calls Christian women to cease trying to emulate men and embrace their feminine, strong nature. Bevere (Kissed the Girls and Made Them Cry) offers women a clear alternative to society's take on the definition of true strength.

which brings me back to kit. kit is a motivational speaker for the Lord. she is also a successful stock broker, single mother, red-haired actress, 59 and almost 60 year old KICK BUTT testimony for the Light. she's great. she scares me sometimes, but i believe she and i have some similarities. and what excites me most is that i believe she is ON TO something when she preaches to women concerning their hurts, and the lies they believed, and their TRUE nature and purpose.

anyhoo, i ordered the book as soon as i hit the computer last night! so look out world, i'm going to learn to fight like the GIRL i was meant to be :)

2 comments:

Karen said...

Yippee!!! Isn't it cool that God doesn't stop with the saving of our souls?? You are such a very cool work in progress, and I love that I get to watch you grow.

:-)

Chris said...

Sounds like a great book. I may have to go find it myself! Thanks Bobbi.