Tuesday, February 20, 2007

so you wanna be creative?


today i had to go do "portfolio reviews" at a student event for my profession. it was fun seeing all my cohorts from the various agencies. i miss that sometimes.

i admit i didn't have real high expectations as far as the students go, but sometimes i wonder about our schools. here's who i talked to:

• 1 guy who was either going to make ads or be a tattoo artist, could not decide

• 1 guy who wanted to be a skateboard artist and skip all the boring crap that he was far too talented for

• 1 sixty year old lady who had "lots of crazy ideas that she never got to use in the first 38 years of her adult life" and was now wanting to be a graphic artist

• 2 girls who seemed very very sweet but had nothing, absolutely nothing interesting to see or to say about why they were there

• 1 girl from iowa who had a nice portfolio, who seemed to hear the "advice" i was giving her, and who will probably be an excellent designer some day

ay yi yi...the only thing i know for sure is that i was sure lucky way back when, that somebody gave me a chance and saw that i was trying really hard and let me off the hook when i screwed up the first few years...otherwise, i would not be the happy and fulfilled designer person i am today. i hope i would do the same for one of these people today if they asked me for a job.

just to be safe, i better pray for each of my new acquaintances because i think it's possible they will need it :)

8 comments:

KristieLou said...

Today made me thankful for the job I have (one I really love), the people I work with and that I am not just graduating and starting out. Thank you Paulsen for picking me 9 years ago :)

Karen said...

I think back on the schooling that I received and it's a wonder that I know how to tie my shoelaces. These poor kids, in addition to being teenagers (hard enough in itself), they have no real guidance and a sorry excuse for an education. They will not know (on this earth) how blessed they are by your prayers. Good work.

bobbione8y said...

yep. actually they were college age, which is why it was doubly disappointing. part of it was their sense of entitlement, and complete lack of desire to understand "the real world" and part of it was that they seemed to have had completely improper training. not sure. prayers are the best thing i can give em, that is for sure!!

ps - i did speak to one of the girls about holiness because she had a book design titled as such, and she said "i think we need more of that" - God bless HER.

Karen said...

Yes! Um, who is the dude pictured on this post? ...and does he know he's pictured on this post??

bobbione8y said...

ha ha. he is a generic young person :)) he sold his pic to a stock photo company so they could sell it to me, so i'm sure he is fine with representing the direction of the design community in SD :)))

K~ said...

who's the dude? K~

Unknown said...

Have you ever used this site for photos?

http://frugalupstate.blogspot.com/2007/02/new-source-for-royalty-free-photos.html

Unknown said...

http://frugalupstate.blogspot.com/
2007/02/new-source-for-royalty-free-photos
.html