Saturday, February 20, 2010

Veggie Saturday

wow. what a beautiful day... going out in the bright sunshine here in a bit. i did wake up this morning with the urge to be in the kitchen. it's so funny how that is my saturday 'thing' during the winter, as much as the rush to the garden is my thing in the summer.

today, i decided to use some stuff i had on hand. that is so fulfilling! i made two recipes, one of which i'll share. i'll talk about the other one (carrot soup) later, if anybody wants to know.

so, on to my black bean burgers. i was trying to duplicate these by morningstar farms. they are kind of good, but at $3.99 for 4 tiny burgers, for BEANS, that is just crazy.



i found a recipe on the internet, and added some corn and chopped onion. they were really messy to mix up, but quite easy to form into patties!




i was surprised that they held their shape so easily. i think the whole wheat flour and cornmeal helps. i am planning on freezing the remaining ones, which i can then defrost and fry (no differently than the store bought ones). i stuck them in the fridge for a couple of hours first, though.


here's what they turned out to be. they were pretty yummy! to be honest, they would have been even better if i had put a tablespoon of olive oil in the frying pan, to kind of make the 'crust' firmer. they were pretty soft....

anyway, i feel good to have mastered these on the first try... though i will surely add some chopped green/red pepper next time, if i have it on hand. these cost practically nothing, with homemade salsa and rani's corn. if i were REALLY being frugal, i would have cooked the beans instead of using canned. try em if you like :)

Vegetarian Black Bean Burgers with Cornmeal

Ingredients:
  • 2 15 ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup corn kernels
  • 1/4 cup onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat or all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup salsa
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp garlic salt

Preparation:
Place beans in food processor; process until fairly smooth. Add flour, cornmeal, salsa, cumin and garlic salt. Process until well combined.

Spoon mixture into 6 balls on a large plate and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours before cooking.

Heat barbecue grill or ridged grill pan over medium heat. Coat grill or pan lightly with oil. Form each ball into a 4-inch patty about 1/2-inch thick. Place the patties on the grill or in pan and cook until browned and heated through, 4 to 5 minutes per side.

Serve your black bean cornmeal patties on hamburger buns with your favorite toppings.

11 comments:

Karen said...

I am starving. If I lived anywhere in the state of SD, you can BET that I'd be strappin' on my snowshoes and heading to your house.

I think I'd want a side of tortilla chips with those...or maybe some spicy sweet potato fries.

bobbione8y said...

thanks dear, i agree, although i ate them with neither. there were PLENTY for you and a friend or two :)


how do you make sweet potato fries?

are they just cut and oven baked?

Karen said...

Sometimes I buy them (Amy's, I think), but they're so super easy (and cheap!) to make that you should do it yourself. I have several great recipes, which I will share with you tomorrow. The Wonder Hub is growling at me b/c we have NO CHILDREN TONIGHT and I'm "hanging out with my girlfriends" instead of him.

:-)

Fun stuff to report about my day, too!

Anonymous said...

I'm SO making those burgers. Thanks for sharing.

I'll be curious to see Karen's spicy recipe, but since I just made sweet potato fries with supper tonight, I know this recipe off the top of my head:

Cut 2 medium sweet potatoes into 8 wedges each.
Toss with 1 T. olive oil, 1/2 t. paprika and 1/4 t. salt.
Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Turn wedges and bake for 10 more minutes.

Pretty darn yummy. And guilt-free because they're baked!

cherk said...

Those look awesome, everytime I try to make veggie burgers OR anything with black beans hubby raises an eyebrow, not his favorite

bobbione8y said...

thanks ellen! i make these fries similarly with 'regular' potatoes, was wondering if the method is the same...will try!

ps. the burgers are good ;)

bobbione8y said...

cher, that is funny because black beans are about my only 'favorite' bean - i would not touch a kidny or lima bean with a 10 ft pole!

Anonymous said...

They look great. do you think they'd hold on the grill? I looove sweet potato fries. I can honestly say that I'll eat them no matter what the consistency, and I've never gotten them crispy. I said the hell with the detox diet, I'm not giving up coffee.
PS If you google how to make your own ketcup, you get interesting results.-Lisa

Unknown said...

OOOOHHHHH, these look great!

I can't wait to try them.

I love black beans, too.

Sweet potato fries! Where have I been, I NEED them. The nearest sweet potatoes are 30+ miles away right now and I have no plans to grocery shop this week AARRGGHHHHHH!!!!!! I think I'll try them with the tortilla chips:)

bobbione8y said...

Lisa - that make me laugh. i am with you on detoxing everything enjoyable out of my life! until the day that somebody sits me down and tells me it's killing me, i am going to drink a cup of coffee, for heaven's sake.

rani - i think we should PLANT some sweet potatoes this summer, don't you?

Unknown said...

Sweet potato planting is a novel idea, B!