Tuesday, February 16, 2010

one small step for man


the snowshoes came yesterday. i was a little worried when i told kristie, and she said 'do you want to go TONITE?'

yikes. i decided to take a quick trip around the yard, just so i knew what it felt like. it was a little challenging, but fun to walk along the top of the fenceline in my back yard, there is that much snow. i was doing fine until i hooked the snowshoe on the top of my wheelbarrow. yeah. crazy. i fell over and had one heck of a time getting up.

so last night we headed to yankton trail park, and the soccer fields. it was a nice flat place to start, although i quickly discovered i will need more than jeans and 99cent mittens if i am to be outdoorsy. i was freezing.

unfortunately, we only got about 15 minutes into the game, when one of the end swirly thingeys fell off my pole, and got stuck in the snow. it would not have been a big factor, had i not seen it a couple steps away, and forgotten that i had large planks on my feet. in my attempt to grab it by turning around, i got befuddled and fell again. doh! very snowy and very cold!!!

sigh. so, we had to turn back until i get some proper clothing. in the meantime, i think kristie looks smashing.


i am glad this is something we both enjoy. more adventures to come.

9 comments:

overcaffeinatedkatie said...

That looks so fun! Way to be outdoorsy!

Karen said...

So FUN!

We've had a couple of mishaps, too, but none that involve wheel barrows.

:-)

Karen said...

My best hint to date is this: walk on balls of toes when going uphill.

bobbione8y said...

oh, good call!

yeah. it's crazy karen, i was walking around the TOP of my greenhouse, which is about 5 ft high.

i am determined NOT to fall today...going out for a bit soon.

i got some under armour at lunchtime. still need your fashion friend though :)

Unknown said...

I am so jealous of you spending time with my old friend, Kris!

Have fun for me, too, okay? ;)

Anonymous said...

Yay! It sounds like SO much fun.

Just curious, can you wear any boots with them?

bobbione8y said...

jill. not sure. i have a pair of boots i bought at the farm supply store, they have a big thick lining. i think smaller boots would work, there are just adjustable straps on the top of each snowshoe that you strap into. i really like the warmth of my 'farm' boots though!

Karen said...

Any boots. Even your girly, fashion ones.

I need some farm boots.

KristieLou said...

Karen:
I purchased my boots from Lands End (at Sears). They are the best pair I have ever owned and they are a little cute...

I have had them for a couple of years though...