Friday, February 12, 2010

must haves.

so today is day 12 of the sugar buster. i admit, i have eaten sugar, very sparsely. but a packet of raw sugar a day on my oatmeal, and a little flavored yogurt is a far cry from my usual habit.

so far, so good. it is much easier now than it was last week. i still crave it, but i think less. maybe i'm just getting used to eating other things.

at any rate, there are a few things which have made my fairly radical dietary switch go more smoothly. take any one of these elements out of the mix, and i'm probably calling 'fail.'


this one has nothing to do with a diet. wow, i just plain love it. esp. for the dead-of-winter-comfort-food needs. 1/3 cup has 120 calories, and is nutty and textured. and filling. thank you bob!



another long-time fave. a tablespoon of these, on oatmeal or a salad, goes a long way when you are craving sugar.


i bought this accidentally. it has 160 big calories in it, and real sugar. it packs a coffee flavored punch! in moderation, i think this is a nice decadent dessert.


my mom told me about braeburn apples. my whole life, i've been a granny smith only apple eater. these are just as crispy, and maybe even slightly more flavorful than the gs...still kind of tart, like i like em. they saved me from eating sugar out of the bag!

so there you have it. 12 days is not a habit. but it is a start, and i am happy about that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i currently have every one of those foods in my house! bob's muesli is really good too. i love, love, love braeburn apples; i don't eat any other kind.

i should try to give up sugar too, but it's like a security blanket and mini-vacation all in one. bad, i know.

Karen said...

First off, good job!

Second, I always pass the Five-Grain by and grab Bob's steel cut oats. Thanks for the heads-up. I've been adding walnuts or pecans plus a couple of dried apricots to mine. Funny, but I prefer it w/o the brown sugar.

Third, Craisins are the BOMB. Craisins and crumbled feta are how I get the boys to eat salad. Craisins and feta and blue cheese dressing make my (not so healthy) dream salad.

Fourth, sitting on the stovetop right this minute is a hot-from-the-oven apple crisp made with braeburns. Mmmmmm, breakfast.

Anonymous said...

love the braeburns here too.

Go Bobbi!

I am inspired. however I may just have to enter an off-site detox. Do you suppose they have one in, say, France? ;)

(in my dreams)