Sunday, February 21, 2010

found him.


yay! i found my praying man at my first stop - i thought i had remembered seeing him awhile back. although the artwork is not in super condition (the pic is rubbed off in a couple small spots) and it was a BIT over budget ($10, i would have rather paid $5 :)) - the size is perfect for the space.

the most interesting part of the find was that the lady at the goodwill checkout seemed happy with my purchase. she told me that it was a painting at her home growing up. i think perhaps that is the appeal of this piece for me. she asked if i knew who did it (i did not, but the story of the artwork is here)...and we talked about how familiar, how comforting it is to see this particular art hanging on a wall.

i am drawn to the sentiment. the fact that so many homes once displayed this piece is a reminder to me of a time when the Lord was remembered more willingly, when a portion of our lives were dedicated to Him more easily than it seems to be now. i am thankful for the gift that God has given me by this lovely reminder.











oh ps. as a bonus, i also found the coolest globe EVER. it is one of those that has a 'topographical' relief on it, do you remember those? the bottom is marked with 'property of storm lake community school.'

i hope they know i have it :)

8 comments:

KristieLou said...

he is perfect there. I am so glad you found him!

Oh...and I have that same bread box but in teal :)

KMOSS said...

My Grandma had that picture hanging in her kitchen as long as she lived in her house...30+ years

Unknown said...

Funny,

Gavin woke up Saturday morning and begged to play with my globe. He sat and fingered the countries and water for the better of an hour. I love my globe, too. And all it says on the bottom is my name in Sharpie...:) Love the print, the breadbox and the breakfast nook area, it's beautiful!

bobbione8y said...

i tell ya, i found myself sitting in that little nook and staring at the goodwill painting A LOT this weekend. that is how i know i made a good choice about 'art' that i buy ...

rani. the globe is labeled in black sharpie too :)

Unknown said...

The black sharpie is a must when it comes to globe labeling...

carey said...

i love that piece of artwork. pretty much everyone i know over age 60 has it, and my grandma is standing right here and she says she loves hers!

bobbione8y said...

hi grandma margie ;)

Karen said...

Yay, and YAY!

Thanks for the story, too!

If Storm Lake has another spare, I have a husband with a thing for globes. The topography would rock his world.