Saturday, January 02, 2010

new beginnings

...thinking about resolutions this morning. i do find it interesting that most of us will admit to wanting to start anew. even if we refuse to make resolutions, we are making a value statement about new beginnings. if we don't believe new beginnings are possible, or have somehow lost hope in our own ability to achieve them, we will probably avoid making vows to start anew.

thankfully, God didn't expect us to do it on our own. He did, however, design us to begin anew. He has designed us in His image, and yet He knows that in this life, we can never achieve that perfection. still, we can begin anew. every single day!! i think His plan is glorious. if only we REALLY really believed it was possible, who might we really become?!

Therefore if any man be in Christ,
he is a new creature:
old things are passed away;
behold, all things are become new.
2 Corinthians 5:17

goodness knows, there are a million things i would love to do better. in the last few days, a couple of them have sprung to mind. i started to think of things using a less = more equation. here goes, i'll state it as a prayer.

Lord, this year may my portion involve:

less thinking + more doing
less couch + more activity
less complaining + more praising
less worrying + more trusting
less computer time + more 'face' time
less food for comfort + more seeking Comfort
less of me + more of YOU.

thank you Lord for the opportunity to begin anew. today, i stand on your Truth, that i am a new creation, and that all the old has passed away!

ps. last night as i was driving home from the family holiday, i heard this song on the radio, and was struck by the awesome Truth in it. please listen, and take this to heart today! you are loved, friends!





5 comments:

Karen said...

I'm here, reading and doing my best to soak this in, but there is machine-gun fire in the very near background and one little-ish procrastinating boy with a very large project to finish asking every two seconds for the computer.

I'll come back later.

cherk said...

Bobbi-I haven't even sat down yet to think of "new beginnings" which I love by the way-way better than a resolution. I think I would have so many I wouldn't know where to begin...hmmm maybe that is a start
Karen-ohhhhhh Good luck with THAT, been there/done that.

Unknown said...

Forgiven.

Designs us to begin anew.

Less...

Thank you Bobbi.

Who might we really become? I love that line...

Anonymous said...

Forgiven.
It is the best gift indeed.
Thank you for the reminder. May we, above all things, know Him in His fullness and move (or rest) accordingly.

Happy New Year, Bobbi!

Karen said...

You know what I love?

I love that when I'm feeling all shallow and flippant, you swoop in with your spiritual vision and straighten me out again.

Your iron sharpens mine, sister. Thanks.

I'm gonna come back and listen to the song after the very loud shooters depart my basement.