Sunday, January 03, 2010

grandma loved lavender

i made this discovery when i went home for 'christmas' on new year's eve....it started when i opened my mom's cupboard, and stared in awe and amazement at THESE:


which led to a barrage of questions: where did they come from? why do you have them? what kind of 'melmac' are they???? do you KNOW how jealous i am?!

mom said they came from grandma. apparently they have been in the basement since 1981, when she passed away. i have no memory of them ever being used, by either grandma or mom...until now. good grief. i am going to go home to eat more often :) ps: turns out they are Texas Ware, which is actually quite collectible....!

this discovery led to discussion and reminiscing, and the faint memory of another treasure, this one left for me to neglect. in 1981, i was 19...and although i loved my grandma very much, and was grateful for the treasure she "willed" to me, i did not actually appreciate it for what it was....


so, her glorious hand-crocheted bedcover also went to the basement, shortly after i received it. looking back, i would say it was her 'piece de resistance', the evidence from a life of heavy-duty crocheting. it was quite well known in the family that whatever the value of the actual piece, it was allotted to me because she loved me most :) she did make up a rule so that it was legit, something about 'the youngest granddaughter' getting her share of the treasures, but had i come in a different order of the birth chain, i am pretty sure the rule would have allowed for me to still come out on top! i got this honor by spending many days of childhood with grandma and grandpa, as my young mom worked at the local Woolworths. i was the lucky one, those were enchanted times.

okay, back to the bedcover. at 19, i did not fully appreciate the effort it must have taked to complete this project - it is truly beautiful!



it's made with cotton thread, not yarn. something like this would take me, oh, probably a DECADE to complete. i wish i could ask grandma how long she toiled on it. and why she chose lavender...and how she picked the pattern. and did she know how very much it would mean to me some day?!


unfortunately, for right now, i have no place that i can display it properly. er, safely. if you know what i mean...! but when summer comes, i plan to try placing it as a coverlet on my bed. which will probably involve a bunch of *repainting* and *redecorating.* doh.


sigh. christmas brings so many good things. the memory of times spent with family is truly priceless. i guess it's a good thing i haven't ALWAYS been a hermit, after all ;)

4 comments:

carey said...

man i love this post. i love hearing about you as a young 'un and can totally picture little bobbi hanging with her grandparents.

i also love the feisty look on siesta's face. i did get pounce something called the super scratcher for christmas. he LOVES the thing.

Karen said...

What Carey said. I've read this three or four times now. Good stuff. :-)

bobbione8y said...

aw, thanks girls. i heart my grandma :)

K~ said...

hey bob. I finally sat down and read some more of your blog. I had looked at this one, but never noticed my pillow in it before. I hope you liked it. LOVE that afghan!! K~