Monday, June 09, 2008

tales from across the alley pt. 2


it's been building rather steadily since they moved in. first, the barking dogs. then, the crappy yard with a crescendo of not one, not two, but THREE crappy campers at one point placed directly across from me. then, there's the yelling. not a little, but a lot. last but not least, the harleys. harleys at 7 am, and harleys at 1 am. too damn many harleys, and too damn many other things that drive me crazy.

if you haven't guessed it yet, i've been well on my way to not liking my new neighbors. sure, the guy always says hi when he sees me, but then continues yelling, and his wife continues sitting on the front porch chain smoking.

yesterday, i was about ready to blow from the general unpleasantness of them being around. but it was a nice day, and i was sitting on my front step decoupaging my suitcase. the neighbors were also out in yard, putzing around by the camper(s), and just hanging out. i was listening to some music coming from somewhere, and enjoying it.

until it dawned on me that the music was coming from THEM. not just any music, but God music. loud God music from the christian radio station i always listen to. confused and dazed about that, i said to phillip, "did you hear what they are listening to?" and he said, "yeah, did you see the guys' vest that just drove up on his harley?" and sure enough, it said "SET FREE MINISTRIES."

double hmmmm. before the afternoon was complete, i had FOUR (yes, i said four) little kids sitting with me decoupaging, drinking my "juice" and playing dora concentration cards for HOURS. two of the children belong to THEM...and i have a feeling i will be seeing more of them this summer.

God is funny that way. in His not-too-subtle way, i think He's telling me not to count the neighbors out just yet :)



oh ps. the suitcase, which is only HALF finished because i had FOUR kids helping me (you do the math) is looking pretty sweet.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW :)

Got me some goosebumps reading that.

I could use a lesson in neighborliness from you.

Mysterious ways, my friend...

bobbione8y said...

as you can see, it is not ME that is moving mysteriously. i'm my old predictable self :)

yes. will be curious to see what He does next over there!

KristieLou said...

ok...
i am coveting that suitcase. i think it could quite possibly be the cutest thing i have ever seen!!!! i want one!

bobbione8y said...

oh dear. i am already looking for suitcase #2. you don't even KNOW how much fun they are!!!! really.

i was thinking that to decoupage old books on one would be FABULOUS. i have a gardening journal and i want to find a green one to make a garden suitcase!!!

:)

Karen said...

Man, I needed that smile today. I love our God. I can't wait to see His smile in person, 'cause I'm sure (gardening aside) He does it a lot.

And the suitcase. Girl, I just love your style. :-)

cherk said...

Love the suitcase-there is this cool chair at the Y science center here that is just a collage of stuff between that your suitcase I am itching to something artsy here soon. Love the story. A good reminder for an open mind.

Cassie said...

cuuuuuuute case!

i totally got the goosebumps reading that story too - love it :o)

K~ said...

that is the most special story! i love the suitcase!K~