Sunday, June 22, 2008

game on

this weekend produced a very satisfying 2-day thrift fest. i am amazed at the number of rummage sales in one town! although i hit on some pretty good finds, i think my favorite is this one:



games. lots and lots of games. i grew up playing alot of these games, and still enjoy board games every once in awhile. luckily, phillip does too. we played a mean game of yahtzee last night (i won, if you are wondering :)) and i am looking forward to digging into a couple of these i have never heard of. and omgosh, there is even a SPIROGRAPH in there! almost complete, only 2 tiny cogs missing. the instruction manual is GREAT on that one.

i wonder about my fascination with thrifting. there is no doubt i like the thrill of the hunt, but i think the bigger thing is mostly related to my obsession with the past. i LOVE thinking about the old days! does this happen to everyone, or is it just me?! i think it might be happening to me a little more than most. i do understand that God made me for "such a time as this" but i also just find value in remembering. what i do remember is mostly good. i think the world was just so different when i was growing up. i am glad i have the internet, and computer graphics, and ipods, but i do think the 60s and 70s had their own kind of funkiness. it just seemed simpler then, but again, i was a kid so it probably was :)

oh, who knows. i just love to thrift. it's one of my very favorite parts of summer. among the other stuff i discovered:



a turquoise fiberglass chair that i am using for my new/old sewing chair. i've been on the hunt for one of these for awhile. this one is not in mint condition, but it had white paint and sticky stuff all over it when i bought it, and cleaned up nicely. very butt-friendly, too :)




estate sale recipe cards. 50 cents for a huge stack. i only bought 2 bundles, and there were probably 20. this lady also had a bazillion aprons, and the lady running the sale said they were all pressed and hanging in the closet. this is a woman i wish i had met!



2 AWESOME smaller thermos jugs. i just may be obsessed with these, i think they are so funky and designed!! phillip takes his lunch most days, so this winter i'll be able to send soup with him to work, along with my love, of course :)

oh. there was other stuff too. a belt sander that we needed for projects, a couple cheese boards, some pearl cotton to crochet with, a few patterns and books and dvds. mostly, i just bought alot of memories, or at least brought them back to life for a bit. c'mon over and i'll share some with you!

10 comments:

KristieLou said...

Oh....

everything is so cool. But that chair! That is the best thing I have seen in a long time! I am loving it! And of course I want one now ;)

K~ said...

Ok, LOVE the chair. Just looked at one like that last summer. They are pretty comfortable too. K~

cherk said...

I LOVE garage sales, spirograph-that is too awesome! My other favorite was Fashion Plates where you designed different clothes. If you see one grab it for me-it would be so relaxing-like pulling out a coloring book and just coloring the day away.

Susan said...

OK so tell the truth...you went to my mom and dad's house didn't you??? Seriously it looks like you did...

Have a great time with your finds, so cool.

My mom has brainwashed Allie as well into thrifting, they went estate sale crawling on Friday and had a blast.

carey said...

he he. i suppose i'd need to leave scheels to find stuff like that. i do love the chair, i bet it looks great in your office. nice work.

DeAnn said...

I just can't believe what you find! I need to shop with you! By the way cherk, I still have my Fashion Plates...my girls love to play with it. I think those are something i'll keep forever, they just bring back too many memories!

bobbione8y said...

cher, how did i MISS fashion plates? for somebody who is addicted to Project Runway, that sounds fantastic!!!

i will look for two of em ;)


girls. seriously. you must rummage this summer. you really must :)

bobbione8y said...

oh and ps, susan, when can i come to your mom's house?!

:)

KristieLou said...

Oh...Fashion Plates!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had kind of forgotten about those. I LOVE them! I wonder if I mine are still at my dad's house. I am going to look. What a happy memory ;)

Karen said...

I love the chair.

You know I would have taken every single recipe...