Tuesday, March 13, 2007

shelf life


on friday last week, i finally decided i needed to eat some food. i guess death is the only thing that can kill my appetite.

anyway, when i went hunting for some "comfort food" i saw that comfort had clearly left my house. nothing was really there, i had kind of neglected grocery buying last week.

i spotted a box of rice a roni on the top shelf, and remembered that my friend barbara gave it to me when we worked together, it was a gag gift of some sort (cannot remember the gag). the last time i worked with barb was probably about 7 to 8 years ago.

so, checked the box. expiration date: august 2003.

in my depressed state and need for food, i really didn't give a darn. so, i made the whole box, and ate most of it. and i have to tell you, that was the bestest rice a roni i have EVER eaten.

i may buy a nuther box for when the next devastating moment hits. it's always good to be prepared.

:)

5 comments:

Karen said...

May it be another eight years before you need it.

bobbione8y said...

yes!!!

that would be really nice :)

Unknown said...

those non-perishables are pretty amazing, aren't they?

Karen said...

Amazing? I think they're flat-out scary. I wonder if you increased your shelf life by eating that??

bobbione8y said...

oh it was yummy.

i am not sure, but i think if i freeze dry my whole garden it might last that long too :))

the south dakota treat.