Thursday, March 29, 2007

reverend al




this morning i have been listening to al green.

back in the day, i could never imagine listening to some crazy funky groovy black guy who sang in the 60s about love and sex and God all at the same time, in a wild falsetto that can only be described as "smooth." not me, i'm a southern rock girl, remember?

then, one day a couple of years ago, i met a young man who was working at painting my house. he had the habit of wearing earphones, all day long, no matter what he was doing. i imagined that he was probably listening to some weird rap songs, or maybe some hardcore rock and roll, like cinderella or something.

it wasn't until quite awhile later, when i got to know him better, that he shared with me what was spinning on his cd...it was the reverend al, almost exclusively...i would guess the young man knew a THOUSAND songs of his, all of them by heart, from years spent listening.

at the time, i didn't really dig it that much. but somehow, i ended up falling in love with the young man, and with al at the same time. i am sharing a part of myself that i have never told ANYONE (including the young man) when i say that i dream of hearing "belle" at my wedding some day.

ps, i tried to post "belle" on my site, but there was an error in the code on youtube...it's there if you type in "al green belle" though!

3 comments:

K~ said...

I am not sure if I can listen today. I'm a bit nervous. K~

K~ said...

Ok, SOUL TRAIN!!! I think you should wear your funky new dress and dance to that in your garden.... Neat image hu?? K~

bobbione8y said...

yes. soul train. and me. quite the combo, my friend, isn't it?

whoever knew?!

he he.