Wednesday, July 29, 2009

that's me smilin'


if you know me well, you know that my smile is one of the things i am most self-conscious about. i have crooked teeth, and that really bothers me. so much so, that early on i got an aversion to the dentist. it's rather severe.

even though i have an ADORABLE dentist. i mean, really, really adorable. i am always worried i will tell him i love him when they give me the crazy gas....:) ha. still. i do not see him very often.

lately, well for the last 6 months, i have had pretty consistent problems with one of my teeth, and sometimes a second. the gums hurt, there is yucky smelling goo, and i am just sure they are rotted to the very core. then, a couple of weeks ago, a THIRD tooth started bothering me. since then, i have had fantasies of going to my 30th reunion next summer with NO teeth. grrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeaaaaaaaattt.

about then, i started doing some serious praying. finally this week i made the appt. that i have been dreading. still praying daily. no headaches lately, but to be honest, that one tooth still feels kinda funky.

anyway, long story short, i have not been to the dentist for 4.5 years. YEARS, people. after full rounds of xrays and pictures, here's the scoop:

i have 1 tiny cavity. very easy to fix. i have 2 lower teeth with fractures, which concern the dentist and he would like to build them up and/or add bridges. none of this is cheap, and i will have to budget the dental work over the next year.

HOWEVER, no periodontal problems. no abcesses. no root canals. NOTHING. just one tiny cavity, and some preventative work. and a pat on the back from the cute dentist, who said, you have very very healthy teeth.


:) thank you Lord!

9 comments:

Karen said...

Oh, geez. Had a ache in my gut while reading this one. Thank you, Lord!!!

Karen said...

an ache, that is. :-)

K~ said...

I hate EVERYTHING about the dentist, except perhaps the dentist and the assistant. K~

DeAnn said...

I have this incredible fear of the dentist. I even get that sick feeling when i take my kids. it's like i'm living out my fear through them. anyway, way to go on keeping those teeth healthy!! i think you should smile proudly!

Karen said...

Just saw an ad for Sedation Dentistry and thought of you!

bobbione8y said...

i still am kind of in AWE that the abcess is apparently gone. only God, karen, only God... :)

Karen said...

I'm so so so so glad. Have no doubt that you are loved!

Chris said...

I heart my dentist too:)

cherk said...

From another former fellow dentist scaredy cat I am so glad you went and it all turned out well!