Monday, July 27, 2009

air show




Then the Spirit lifted me up,
and I heard behind me a loud rumbling sound—
May the glory of the LORD be praised
in his dwelling place!
Ezekiel 3:12

for the last 4 days, i've been listening to the sounds of blue angels overhead. it's that time of year for the SF airshow, held this past weekend. i have never been to the show, but i would like to go sometime. i spend a good amount of time outside, watching, though. and listening.

the thing about it is the sound. the sound of those jets. it gets DEEP inside when you hear them. i noticed this weekend, that often when i heard the sound overhead, my eyes would well up with tears.

it could be because these military planes represent the freedom of living here in the usa. i love that little kids get to see these spectacular planes, and get an idea of the kind of things we have to ensure that freedom.

but, i have to admit, as noble as that thought is, and as much as i wholly support the sentiment, i don't think that's it.

i think it's the sound. the SOUND of jets seems to me to be the sound of the Lord. i was thinking i was nuts, til i was talking to a friend this weekend, who said when the angels did a particularly low "fly by" she raised her hands and shouted "hallelujah"! that was confirmation for me. i believe God is in that sound. a demonstration of who He is, His power and might. there is much scripture that makes a case for God being a God of LOUD sounds...and there are lots of sounds that remind me of God, like thunder and waves crashing (remember when God gave me a vision of this sound as his laughter?) and music, too...so, not such a big surprise, i guess.

but still. don't be surprised when you get to Heaven if you find a couple of blue angels zipping around :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. I got the shivers reading this. I was just about to post a few photos of the show on my blog. We got to see a bit of the show when we were at Thunder Road with the kids yesterday afternoon. My son, of course, was particularly interested in why we could see them before we heard them. I was explaining how they were actually traveling faster than sound when I realized that it truly was AMAZING. God has definately given those angels some amazing piloting talents, the stunts they do are not simple and defy all the normal flying rules. Yep, I would say it was rather magnificent. I bet the pilots are believers, huh?

Karen said...

I don't remember the story about your vision of God's laughter. Will you tell it again?

This is a great post. I'm having a very nice (first day without company) God-focused day, and you have added to it very nicely. Thanks!