Sunday, October 12, 2008

unexpected



even though i didn't luck out enough to have an unexpected bag of apples show up at my house (and i'm much too cheap to actually pay for them!), i did get a surprise last night when my neighbor gave me a BUNCH (ha ha) of grapes from his stash!

what to do, what to do.

grapes are funny. these were super sweet, so i made a quick batch of jam. now, i have about 2 quarts of pulp left, and a couple options. there are recipes for grape pie (that does not sound too appealing to me), fruit leather, and wine, among other things to consider. or, we could just skip the welches for awhile, and drink this instead!

they were fun and quite easy to work with, although the whole kitchen is stained purple now. guess today is cleaning day :)

other "to dos" for the weekend:

• feed the yard with fertilizer/weed killer
• finish insulating the garage
• shelving in garage
• tackle the dang-blasted office closet
• football, football, football

happy sunday all!

4 comments:

Chris said...

I had a list much like that, and a cold day to do them in yesterday. Guess what got done....0! And I have to miss football today cuz I have a Silpada meeting. I need to get it together. Hope you did:)

Karen said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. It's 74 and sunny here, but I am making White Bean, Chicken and Poblano Chili in your honor.

My list looks like this:
order ceiling medallion
order face plates
clean out closet
unpack sweaters
clean floors
hang pictures
wash unmentionables

So far I have...
gone to church
gone to church meeting after church
eaten chips
read blogs

carey said...

i did make the apples sliced up with cinnamon and sugar on them in the oven. tastes just like apple pie, only only without the pie. great with ice cream.

nicely done with the grapes. perhaps i shall try applesauce after all...

cherk said...

Carey-I have some apples just sitting around and thinking about the apple dish-good to know you tried it.

I had a list to while half my family was gone and ummm the list is still sitting there. The rainy weather just makes me want to eat and veg out