Friday, October 17, 2008

this woman's work


thanks Janet! these beauties (except for the one i'm having for breakfast) will be put to good use, as pie, pie, pie.

wish me luck with the crusts!


Flaky Pie Crust

3 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. shortening or 1 c. lard
1 egg
5 tbsp. water
1 tsp. vinegar

Blend flour, salt, and shortening together. Beat egg with fork until mixed, add water and vinegar. Pour over flour mixture all at one time. Let stand several minutes until all liquid is absorbed. Mix with fork. Makes enough for two 9-inch double pie crusts.

2 comments:

carey said...

looks like our weekend plans are made. my applesauce didn't go over so well.

sigh.

do you wonder why i don't cook?

Karen said...

I do love to bake, but have never attempted my own crust. Pillsbury is pretty darn good.

I'm supposed to be picking apples right.now.

grrr.