Thursday, October 02, 2008

another dream

not too long ago, my blog friend's were posting "what you might not know about me" posts. karen even let out her deep dark secret of wanting to be a writer.

it got me thinking about my dream. the one i mention casually (probably more than i think) and cast aside because a) i'm too old; b) it would probably fail; and c) i am too tired to chase a big dream like that, because my life is easy right now.

the funny thing about dreams is, they usually don't go away. most of the time my dream kind of sits on the sideline, but occasionally it's awakened when i see somebody else doing the same thing.

case in point. take a look at this woman who just opened her first retail store. it's called yummy goods (i added it to my blog roll, too). don't you just LOVE her aesthetic? is it just me, or is that the happiest place on earth? she is a fabric designer (another dream, but one i just may not have been born with the skillset for), and i think she has a great sense of style.



i'm not sure my store would be exactly like this. well, it probably wouldn't be. but there would be SOME similar things. like comfy old couches, and a pot of yummy coffee always on, and maybe a plate of gooey rice krispy bars for fun.



i even have a place picked out. i cannot even tell you how many times i have made this little shack over in my head. it's about 2 blocks from my house in a HORRIBLE location for a retail store. it's probably WAY too tiny, too. and as far as i know, it's not even for sale! but the pale green color is good, don't you think? for some reason, it holds out hope for a dream, somewhere, somehow....

happy thursday all.

8 comments:

K~ said...

Hey bob, I know about dreams and the exhausting path they can set infront of us.

You must have that little building. It is ADORABLE!! I hear you about location though!! I think it should be an inspiration photo on your desk. Keep looking at it and dream some more. Maybe the answer is in that crazy dream somewhere.

K~

bobbione8y said...

i know! it's weird to be at a stage in life when it seems too tiring to pursue dreams. i'm not even 50, for heaven's sakes! i was talking to a friend, and she told me that it was in her late 40s that she started to notice that just everyday life made her tired...i suppose if you have kids, it's much sooner ;)

i will put the pic on my desk :) i think i would enjoy that...!

carey said...

there is no need to EVER stop dreaming, especially when you've got talent like yours.

open it up, and be one of those people who has a cat or dog in the shop.

i would come by weekly :)

Karen said...

I read this early in the day and can't stop thinking about it. Will maybe have something intelligent to say tomorrow.

Karen said...

Ok. I wanted to show you my former hairdresser's cool little boutique in Colorado Springs. She left her very very successful salon, bought a cute little old house and opened a vintage clothing store, which is now going on seven years old. She still does a little hair in the back room, but only for a select few favorite clients, and not because she has to. She followed her dream, Bob, and has never regretted it.

So there. I love Kirsten's idea for framing the house pic. Maybe I need to frame a book jacket...

cherk said...

I would come to SF just to shop there. If you build it they will come

Chris said...

Oh I hear ya Bobbi. I'm not even 40 and I feel exhausted everytime I think about my dream. One thing going for you is that you already know how to do it. You left a secure job to open your own business at home. What makes you think you couldn't run a cute little store?

bobbione8y said...

oh Chris. i left my secure job doing EXACTLY what i already know how to do!

this is SOOOOOOOOOO different! this, i have no idea how to do!

if you were here, we could open a cute vintage shop/coffee shop together :)