Monday, October 22, 2007

autumn soup



i thought i'd post my recipe for "autumn soup" here, because i heated some up for dinner tonite, and it is SO yummy....always better the 2nd day.

anyway, i did not remember to take a pic before it was devoured, but when i googled it, i found the EXACT photo from the betty crocker recipe card file my mom had. man, you can find anything on the internet!

here's the recipe, i substitute alot, so i'll explain that too...

1 Lb. ground beef
1 C. chopped onion
4 C. water
1 C. cut-up carrots
1 C. diced celery - did not have, so i skipped this, and added more carrots.
1 C. cubed -- pared potatoes
2 Tsp. salt
1 Tsp. bottled brown bouquet sauce - hmmm. didn't do this either.
1/4 Tsp. pepper
1 bay leaf - did not do this either, i put about a tsp. of organic seasoning (mrs. dash would probably work).
1/8 Tsp. basil
6 tomatoes** - i used a small can of diced tomatoes, and a couple of cans of water

In large saucepan, cook and stir meat until brown. Drain fat off. Cook and stir onions with meat until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients, except tomatoes; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes. Add tomatoes; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Makes 6 servings.

i just threw everything in the crockpot and let it go for about half a day...

so yummy!!!!! i guess i said that already, didn't i?

11 comments:

DeAnn said...

mmmmmmmmmmm.

I love soup in the fall/winter time. This one is going in the pot tomorrow. i'm looking forward to it already!

Karen said...

Oh, man. It's 8:29, I'm starving and this sounds great. I'm having guests tonight for Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder and corn bread, but I think I'll add this to the menu, too. You can never have too much soup, right?

--Isn't brown bouquet just for coloring???
--I'm going to use that Herbamare for my seasoning.

bobbione8y said...

oh. best part about this (although a bit gross).

if you make it ahead and refrigerate it, it will float all the oil from the meat on the top and harden it.

so, you can "defatten" it easily!!!

i bet herbamare is good in there. just season it up well, but the tomatoes make it rock.

yum :)

Unknown said...

my mom has made this for years...she calls it hamburger soup...I know, so creative. I will try it this week, too.

K~ said...

Can I buy some? K~

Karen said...

Get this--
I have carrots, onion, yellow squash and a sweet potato, plus ground turkey. I'll let you know how it turns out.

bobbione8y said...

i am not convinced about the ground turkey, but then, you're the foodie :)

let us know.

Karen said...

I just heard this from my hungry husband, "Good soup, baby!" and he has not been hip to all my recent creativity.

I had two bowls myself. I added some beef bullion to make up for the ground turkey, and that sweet potato is soooooooooo yummy.

Karen said...

And it's gone! The company liked it, too!!

bobbione8y said...

cool.

i am going to try the turkey/sweet potato combo next.

thanks for the creative input :)

Karen said...

Actually, use the hamburger. The sweet potato rocked, but it really would be better with that hamburger taste. I did your fat-skimming trick, worked like magic. :-)