Sunday, September 23, 2007

me and my sordid past


i've spent a bunch o' time in menards over the past 24 hours. will show photos of the repainted home office if my fingers and back loosen up enough for me to walk around and shoot them! man, i am outta shape.

anyway, i find it interesting that my new cool clutch sparked an oddly unexpected conversation while i was waiting in line at the paint counter. a young guy behind me in line commented on the clutch (along the 'that's a pretty unusual purse you have there' line) and then proceeded to tell me that he hand tooled leather for custom motorcycle seats. turns out he is associated with a semi-famous team of people here in SF who have been featured on several tv shows for their custom bikes.

what is odd about this story is that i felt right at home talking with this guy. we chatted about the 70s (he had heard of that era :)) and how hand tooling leather was all the rage. i even remember learning to do this in 5th grade art class! no wonder i loved the clutch! then, we even got into discussing pinstriping and detailing race cars, which i think is the inspiration for me becoming a designer, because i distinctly remember being a kid, sitting in the garage out back, intently watching the guy who detailed my uncle's sprint car with an amazing steady hand. i thought that was the coolest thing.

lately when my girlfriends and i talk about our creative upbringings, i have to laugh a little bit on the inside. although my love for crafting and food most certainly came from the women in my family, i also have to give credit where it's due for the part of me that loved the boys and the racing and the brightly colored cars. and apparently, the late 60s and 70s. there are some things that you cannot bring "back" into style, because they are just a part of who you are.

thanks to the $6 leather clutch for bringing it all back to me! i just hope i have enough good sense not to try to take on ANOTHER craft right at this moment!

2 comments:

Chris said...

You must have been in line forever!;)

carey said...

deep down, we're all dirt track kids, aren't we?