Monday, September 03, 2007

girl food


i was so excited when i found an easy recipe this weekend for one of my fave foods, chicken salad.

i eat it practically NEVER, and i love it. when i asked phillip if he liked chicken salad, he paused just one second too long, before saying "i like CHICKEN."

yeah. makes me wonder why i asked, because i swear i have never met a guy who likes chicken salad, ever. when pressed for the reason, all phil would say is "it's the texture i guess."

hmmm. yeah, it's the texture of CHICKEN!!

?! oh well. that meant all the more for me. here's the recipe for all you girls out there who aren't afraid of "texture."

Easy Chicken Salad

Throw a few (i used 3) frozen chicken breasts in the crockpot, along with a bit of shredded carrot, onion, garlic, and chopped basil, rosemary, salt and pepper for seasoning. add a little (1/2 cup?) water so it won't burn.

Cook on high for about 3 hours, til chicken is tender. Flake the chicken with a fork, and refrigerate until cold. When ready to serve, drain the excess liquid, and add in a handful of nuts, some celery for crunch, and mayo to moisten.

mmmmmmmmmmm.....i bet you can almost taste it already.

6 comments:

carey said...

i always knew i was part boy. i'm with phil on this one. the texture of chicken salad is nasty. but it does not even come close to the SMELL of tuna salad, my greatest foe of all time. :)

bobbione8y said...

um, yeah Care, if i was a betting woman, i would have put money on YOU not liking chicken salad.

see, that gene is missing right along with the one that cannot figure out textures.

he he.

love you...!

Karen said...

I'm desperate for lunch-food that isn't pb&j, so I'm making it. I'll let you know how the texture thing goes.

Uh, yeah. No revelation that the redhead is part boy, eh?

Susan said...

I love chix salad. I am going to have to make this. Thanks for the recipe, I am gonna add red grapes, love it with grapes.

Carey - btw I love tuna salad (big surprise right?) I have been eating that every day this summer after buying the super, duper 48 can pack at Costco. Little man screams and holds his nose everytime I take a can out of the pantry.

Karen said...

My house smelled heavenly all day today and the hubby was disappointed that he didn't get to eat that smell for dinner...hopefully he'll be happy to discover something other than pb&j in his lunch tomorrow.

Chris said...

Between you and Karen, I am going to have some very yummy new things to eat! Thank you for sharing. I love anything that you can use the crock pot in the recipe!:)