Sunday, September 30, 2007

loud and clear


there are times in life, when i just cannot believe how blatant God is when He is saying something to me. sometimes, or whenever i am being disobedient, i wish i could just turn Him off for awhile. but the more of God's spirit that we allow into us, the more we hear Him, whether what He SAYS is what we want to hear, or not.

so, admittedly, i've been disobeying. lately, i've just gotten lazy concerning God. skipping church. skipping my worship group. skipping reading the bible. no, i take that back. in six years as a Christian, i've NEVER been a real regular bible reader. i know we are supposed to, i know when i do, i usually hear from the Lord, and i know it's a NECESSITY for life in this world!!

but much like my long abandoned running routine, reading God's Word, although good for me, is not all that fun to my natural mind. so even though i read it sometimes, just as often i watch tv (or sleep in) instead.

anyway, today was about the same. not really in the mood to go to church, but i have been feeling crazy helpless lately. i may be dumb, but i know that what is missing is God. so i managed to break out of the self talk telling me to skip today, and went to church.

well, of course the sermon was made for me. the name of the sermon was "you've got the time" and it was about faith increasing by hearing the Word. NOT by hearing some SONG about the Word, or somebody's BLOG about the Word, or even some bible study about the Word. but by READING the Word. duh. but apparently it's not just me, cause Pastor said that 65% of bible believing, church going Christians have never read the whole new Testament. and although i have taken numerous studies, and read occasionally, i can say i fit in that sad category.

anyway, the scripture associated with the sermon was this:

Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.

Romans 10:17

it sounds so simple, but it's not. cause the thing is, youve got to choose to hear. for some people in third world countries, that is kind of hard because access to the Word is not always there. but for us in America, we really have no excuse. and myself, even less so after today because EVERYBODY IN THE SERMON got a cd with mp3s of the ENTIRE New Testament on them. along with a challenge from our Pastor to spend 28 minutes a day for the next 40 days.

wow. i think i'm in training. and i think it's for more than i ever imagined!! pray for me that i make it to the finish line, would you?

3 comments:

carey said...

love this concept. what if you could listen to that and go for a walk at the same time? good for the body AND the soul :)

Chris said...

Bobbi, I am so guilty of this as well! I should love reading the Bible, right? But I spend more time talking myself into reading it, then not, than I do actually reading it. I would rather watch TV or read any other book than the Bible. There are times when I do feel it speaks to me, and times when I feel like, ok what did I just read? I think you are right about choosing to hear. I need to work on this with you. I'll pray.

bobbione8y said...

thanks girls :)

chris, my Pastor was ADAMANT about our natural minds not wanting to read...in fact, that if we don't choose, we still choose. we choose to let Satan have his way with us, and conform us to HIS world, instead of God's. because God wants US to choose, He gave us that ability, and He won't force us....

i will pray for you too!!!!!!!!
because the more you read, the more God's Spirit gets into you, the more you are LIKE Christ, and the more you want to become like Him. so, it gets easier :)