Monday, June 29, 2009

weekend wrapup

sigh. it cannot REALLY be monday, can it? dang. well, if the weekend is over already, i'll waste a little time talking about it. better to live in the past, than in monday morning, i think.


friday nite, i got invited over to check out lou's new patio furniture. the good news is, it's comfy and it goes well with hot fudge sauce. kristie does get a little psycho if there is a chance of rain, cushions must go IMMEDIATELY to the basement, kind of like when i wrapped my new couch in placemats to protect it from siesta. this, too, shall pass.



on saturday, i got in about 5 hours of good garden labor by finishing the next third of the garden mosaic project. whew. i like how it's looking. i am not getting super duper into planting (which is HARD) because i plan to transplant some perennials from the side garden here next spring. patience, that's what i'm growing.



my fave thing in the yard right now is my little dwarf cherry tree. it's rocking the cherries this year, after its "cousin" got ripped out by the roots and stolen last year. sweet baby!

oh, on the frugal front. i am trying to reuse plastic ziploc freezer bags, like i read on somebody's blog. trouble is, they do not seem to dry out!! i want to do my own part, so that nazi minnesotans (in stores, not kirst) who think they are so cool by refusing plastic bags still think i'm cool. cause THAT is important ;)

not much else to report, yesterday was the longest, laziest, best day ever. naps rule, that's all i'm sayin...

i hope you all are rested and ready to go!! happy monday!

7 comments:

Karen said...

I never could make the bags dry out, either. Find another way to be green. The Minnesotans don't know what their missing if they don't like you.

I love the cherries, LOVE the mosaic, LOVED the fudge sauce (until I looked at the recipe). I think you rocked the garden boot camp this weekend!

bobbione8y said...

omgoodness. that fudge sauce is EVIL goodness. seriously. it was the best thing i ever ate!! which scares me!

Anne said...

hey Bob... they make those drying racks for the plastic bags... that you could CERTAINLY make or at least get ideas from. :)

http://www.gaiam.com/product/gift-guide/affordable-gifts/25-or-less/countertop+bag+dryer.do

Anonymous said...

your garden is beautiful even without the perennials!! can't wait to see it next year.

chocolate and cherries. mmmmm.

..and who steals a cherry tree??

Unknown said...

I hang my baggies with clothes pins inside out, the baggies not the clothes pins, to dry.

I have a cherry tree, too. I even have photos. I just can't remember to post them. Funny thing is, I think we lived here 5 years before we noticed the cherries :)

Unknown said...

oh and the chocolate sauce...
here is my ol' standby

1 cup sugar (I use splenda)
1/4 butter
1/4 cocoa
1/4 milk

boil for one minute, add a splash of vanilla

yum

K~ said...

That is so cool. LOVE the cherry tree. How neat! I am into adding more to my perenial gardens this year. Cleaning out what I have and transplanting. Slow but sure. K~