Tuesday, January 13, 2009

a thank you

i had quite a few things i wanted to blog about today - the new season of 24; the rainbow cupcakes on the cover of martha's feb issue; my new metallic baby blue ipod case...you know, all the important stuff.

instead, i think i'll go WAY out on a limb and blog about ... george bush.

yesterday, i found myself listening to/watching his last press conference. you have to know that i sort of hate politics. to be honest, i CANNOT remember if i voted for george bush either time, but i don't think so! seriously, politics are not my thing.

but, our country seems to be going thru some tough times. i'm not sure if they are tougher than other times it has gone thru, but most acknowledge there is a seriousness in the air. so i decided to see what george had to say.

and here is the thing that may scare some of you away.

i like george bush. i don't know that i can explain it for sure, i guess i like that he really seems to care. i thought his press conference showed him to be respectful, and kind, even though the audience might not have been there for a feel-good session. they seemed to want him to talk about how he screwed up, and he seemed to want to say "you people have no appreciation for how hard this job is." i honestly think he wanted to say he did his best, and he seems at peace with himself.



and i want to say this: i do have appreciation for how hard that job must be. (i think his photos from before/after prove that he must have spent a late night or two up thinking about things).

i hope you enjoy retirement, mr. bush, thank you for your service to me and my country.

4 comments:

Karen said...

I saw it, too (although from the treadmill and without headphones, so I guess I read it rather than saw it). I kept thinking that he must be terribly relieved, and that he has paid a very high price for his service. I also wonder how long it will take before the Obama lovers start turning on him.

bobbione8y said...

yes. i actually have respect for anyone who would want that job!

cherk said...

This is weird Shane and I were just musing over the same thing. Running the country is a team effort-whatever man is in charge can only be as good as those who follow him. One person cannot be blamed for all the "serious" stuff going on. It is a thankless job
Karen-I too am interested to see how long before people get impatient for instant change and how they react when next week all the ills are not instantly fixed

K~ said...

I like GB too. K~