Sunday, January 04, 2009

basement shopping

yesterday, i needed a creative project. something new. something that would NOT cost alot. so, i decided to go basement shopping. i got the brilliant idea to rotate my bed the other day (yeah. took me FIVE years to think about doing that) so i had the room in mind that i wanted to redo. i also want to paint the walls in there (a soft muted turquoise, ya think?) but i was a bit lazy to take on painting...i got everything right here in the house, except for one bookcase:



siesta oversaw the whole thing, from the security of her rainbow acrylic afghan. she also likes vintage things :)

the one and only purchase i made was this cheap particle board bookcase. i'm actully covering a door to the upstairs with this, so i will want to add casters at some point. i couldn't find the drill though, so for now it's kind of stationery. i got it on sale for $25 bucks, and only knocked one hole in it when i put it together :)

the thing about these bookcases is that they are SOOOOOOO cheap. so i decided to cover the cardboard backing with a cute vintage fabric i've had forever...i did not want to ruin the fabric, so i actually taped it on! i left the bottom panel "blank" and put a cute yellow wicker basket in there, so i can store some purses and scarves.

isn't it cute?! the fabric is blue/yellow/green/white/chocolate brown. yum.


i also made a pillow to put inside my new/old crochet pillow cover i got a couple of weeks ago. i used to have a yellow bedroom when i was growing up. i see that it's creeping back to me in my later years!


don't even look at this. yes. it's a laptop. in. my. bedroom. actually, the vintage wastebasket down below there is kind of nice too :)

i got a chance to pull out alot of the vintage linens i've been hoarding from rummage sales for quite some time. here's a pretty one on the dresser.


i couldn't get a very good pic of these, but i cut up some old pillowcases/etc with embroidery on them and made this little grouping. been wanting to do this for like ever... :)


lastly, i dug out my old VERY FAVORITE sweater from express (remember express) in the 90s. i cannot fit into this anymore, but i think it makes really nice wall art !!



oh. satisfied :)

ps: i updated with a couple more photos, after i found some pics to hang up (not the right thing, but i hate blank walls, and the proportions seem good)...and i added some pom-pom border to my white curtain! perfect finishing touch :)

13 comments:

Chris said...

Seriously Bobbi, come to my house, I need you!!

cherk said...

I so love this, you make all the stuff I would never think of decorating with look very cool. I am itching to some crafty house thing, I should try to get inspired-my bedroom needs "something"

bobbione8y said...

oh, thanks girls!

i would love my own hgtv show, "thrifting home" - then i could for SURE come over :))

K~ said...

Just love it Bob. I hope that you enjoy it. I am looking forward to getting a laptop for my nest. I think it is simply a grand idea. Enjoy! K~

carey said...

would you please come out here and take over for about a week?

Karen said...

I was feeling really good about the pictures we hung (after 6 months) yesterday...now, though, I think I need you to come over here. Pleeeeaaase???

bobbione8y said...

ease up on the compliments, please, or i will NOT get the room painted as it badly needs!

:)

Karen said...

I was thinking that you SHOULD have your own hgtv show. You're as cool as that Divine Design chick, and waaaaay more creative than the Design on a Dime people. How does one go about getting their own show? I'll lobby for you.

Paint, sister. Can't wait to see it.

KristieLou said...

I would totally watch you on HGTV! That's a great idea!

How is the ipod?

;)

bobbione8y said...

oh. i walk around just holding the ipod ...:)

it is very very good. i bought a shawn mcdonald cd, and actually loaded it up onto my ipod successfully!

thanks teacher :)

KristieLou said...

you're welcome student ;)

DeAnn said...

I seriously think you are so talented. I just stare at your pictures and totally admire them! They look so good and so comfortable and so cozy. Good Job!

Susan said...

So I was on jury duty w/Joan Steffend from Design on a Dime (HGTV) wanna have me give her a call and tell her there is this friend of mine in SD...