Thursday, September 11, 2008

lab test


quite often in our church, pastor will talk about how if church on sunday is our "lecture," then our lives the rest of the week are the "lab" portion of our walk with Christ.

oh, how true that rings. as i remember WAAAAYYYY back to college, i sucked at lab. in fact, i came very very close to not graduating from college, because of a biology lab that i somehow thought i could discontinue attending, and still make a passing grade. yeah. that was what i did back then, just quit going if the lab portion was difficult or not pleasant.

these days, God has me in lab all the time, for things He wants to change, and let me tell ya, i would STILL rather be somewhere else! thank GOD for isaiah this week, which keeps me on track and thankful. this morning in isaiah 9, which expounds about the sins of the children of God, not once but THREE times, therein lies this verse:

For all this, his anger has not turned away,
and his hand is stretched out still.

i am reminded that even though my life in the lab is not a smooth and pretty one sometimes, He still longs to teach and change me, and even though my grade is not even close to passing, He is not done with me yet.

and who could ask for a better instructor than that?!

9 comments:

Karen said...

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I need a break from Life Lab.

Headed back to Isaiah right now.

carey said...

the lab part was always hard and required work and details and time and it was really easy to screw things up.

you make a lot of sense my dear.

did you ever have a professor at SDSU they called "Easy Ed"? he was my biology lab instructor, and he never let us DO the lab. he'd just give us the answers and then he'd go to coffee. the freezing walk across campus at 7:30 am was longer than the actual class. i wonder if he ever got fired?

bobbione8y said...

Isaiah makes me love everything about God. really. i would NOT make it through this week without isaiah :)

unfortunately, i don't remember easy ed. i remember sitting in that dang lab class looking out at the pretty campus, and thinking i could just not STAND it being there for one more second.

seriously. i almost flunked lab. i have never told anybody that before now :)

Unknown said...

Hey, was that your pastor on Kelo last night? I thought of you. I love Isaiah, too. I don't read it or any other of the Word often enough. I need to kick myself in the butt and do it. Thanks for the insights.

bobbione8y said...

oh, not sure rani?

might have been my friend Steve Hickey from Church at the Gate, he launched a big initiative for getting the church together yesterday...!

go steve!

Unknown said...

Yep, Hickey it was, that name is hard to forget...

bobbione8y said...

he is not my pastor, but he pastors several of my friends that i have monday night group with.

he's a good one.

K~ said...

That is a neat analysis. I think about my labs at school too, and although I really enjoyed them, they were much more work then sitting on my butt and 1/2 listening. I really think God wants us to succeed. He is one our side and routing for us all the way. I think, just like children, any step forward is something to smile at. K~

Chris said...

Crap, I'm still flunking lab!!