Monday, September 01, 2008

green tomatoes



i picked some of the tomatillos out of the garden this morning. although there are millions of them on the plant, only a few were "split" out of the shells. i admit i am kind of afraid of them. however. they are so pretty, aren't they?

i found a recipe on the internet for salsa verde. think i will whip up a batch later today. will let you know how it turns out!

Tomatillo Salsa Verde

1 1/2 lb tomatillos
1/2 cup chopped white onion
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon sugar
2 Jalapeño peppers, stemmed, seeded and chopped
Salt to taste

1 Remove papery husks from tomatillos and rinse well. Cut in half and place cut side down on a foil-lined baking sheet. Place under a broiler for about 5-7 minutes to lightly blacken the skin.

2 Place tomatillos, lime juice, onions, cilantro, Jalapeño peppers, sugar in a food processor (or blender) and pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped and mixed. Season to taste with salt. Cool in refrigerator.

Serve with chips or as a salsa accompaniment to Mexican dishes.

Makes 3 cups.

6 comments:

Chris said...

Are you the only one around besides me?? Glad to see a new post, it's been a long blog weekend for me. Your tomatoes look great! You have so many of them! Can't wait to hear how your recipe turns out. I have acouple of post out there too;)Come visit me, I'm lonely!

K~ said...

Hey Bob. I just love the tomato photo. I don't know if I have every seen those kind before. What are they called?? I love Salsa Verde. It is so yummy. Let me know how it works. I am SLOWLY slowly getting to a point of being able to check my computer regularly. I need to get the kids ready for school tomorrow. I had to type a 23 page paper for Cora yesterday and need to still scan in illustrations etc, and print it out today. Nothing like the last minute. Miss you, K~

Hummingbears Den said...

Can't wait to try the recipe! My tomatillas aren't ready yet. But just got done canning tomatoes. Hope you are well!

Karen said...

Oh my gosh, I am insanely jealous-- seriously, like I-need-to-repent jealous! I have a whole file of recipes with tomatillas (which is a seriously yummy word) that I've never, ever made. Did the salsa turn out? Do you need more recipes? Can I come over?

bobbione8y said...

well, don't be too jealous.

they are still sitting on the counter, because i went labor-less yesterday after all :)

i think they are cute. they taste funny though, kind of tart. will update you for sure!

Unknown said...

mmmmm, they look beautifully yumilicious.