Saturday, May 19, 2007

sad to say goodbye


i think this is gonna be a hard thing to do. but today, i started the first day of weaning myself from my old friend.

see, i've been struggling for awhile with a health issue that is more "irritating" than anything. i have thought about it, and usually just deal with it, because for one i'm home all day, and secondly, it hasn't seemed all that bad. but lately, it's badder.

of course, i have been online trying to self diagnose, hoping i won't have some weird cancer or something. and naturally, i want to avoid the doctor at all costs.

then this week, i decided to look some more. i found a list of possible reasons for my symptoms, and sure, cancer was on the list. but the TOP of the list had two big words: alcohol and caffeine. shoot. i wish i drank more alcohol, because then i could just quit which for me would be quite easy. but CAFFEINE? not a prob to drop that either, except that it is a primary ingredient in COFFEE which i cannot live without.

doh. bad news. but i am sick of not feeling good. so last night, i went to the store and bought my last bag of caffeinated pleasure, along with this can of stuff. it's pricey, but it's made by republic of tea, which boosted my confidence a bit. for now, i am going to mix the two together, and vastly cut down on my caffeine. what used to be 3 heaping scoops a day, is now one sort of heaped scoop of coffee, and a scoop of this "herbal" concoction.

i am drinking it now, and it smells like coffee, looks like coffee, and tastes like....well, not chicken. but not really coffee either.

breaking up sure is hard to do. wish me luck with that.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Oh, Bob. My heart is grieving for you. It's grieving for me, too, because I've always known my day would come. I dread it like I dread getting my arm cut off. I know that I drink too much coffee, and I know that I would feel healthier without it, but I'm afraid it will take a doctor's orders to make me to quit.

I'm proud of you and will be here to offer any support and encouragement I can. Make sure to bring that can to AL, and we'll drink chicken together.

Cassie said...

well then, we'll have tea dates from now on. :o)

You can do it, B! I bet you'll be feeling better in no time. I heard apples are supposed to wake you up like coffee? Worth a shot!

bobbione8y said...

hey my dear cass!

thank you so much for your cute note in the mail... i MISS you too...especially this weekend, as i sat out in my porch and wished i had a barbie date :)

you are right. the liquid chicken (he he he) is not so bad, and maybe if i have an apple with it, i will still have a good start to my day :))