Sunday, May 06, 2007

new beginnings




words cannot really describe the excitement i feel when i look at these pictures. last year, when i decided to cut down all of the overgrown bushes in my backyard and dig it up, it was pretty overwhelming. i had no idea what i was getting myself into, but there was no turning back.

what transformed was a really great experiment in my life. i was never happier last summer than when i went "out back" with Been and pulled a few weeds, drank a few cups of coffee, and spent time with God's creation.

this year, i am looking at these pictures expectantly. i love the look of the newly tilled dirt. it's so pretty! i love the haphazard piles of stuff that are calling for my attention. i love the idea of a completely new space, one i haven't seen yet but can envision in my head. one that surely will not turn out as i expect, but will nevertheless be a joy to watch unfold.

last night as the storm rolled into town, for a moment i got a bit fearful of what it could do to all the baby plants that are just barely pushed up. but then i remembered how the Lord works, the safety net He has for all things, including me and my little chunk of earth here in south dakota. even though the storm was coming in, i knew that i had roots.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I would come over and dig in with you in a heartbeat. I am glad to get to help Chris with it this week (although we both admit that we could use your help!).

bobbione8y said...

you guys are lucky! i would love to be there with you, esp. while the mulch guy mocked you! sheesh.

i want to see pics, hope you will post some :)

wow. blogging on vacation. you are hooked, aren't you?!