Sunday, May 06, 2007

remembering


yesterday a friend and i were talking about where we got our artistic eye from. although i am not real sure about that, i can put a pretty firm finger on where i got my love for the back forty, and everything that simple living involves.

that would be my grandma elizabeth on my mom's side. in this pic, i guess i am 9 or 10, and i remember how this moment felt so well.

i loved my grandma and grandpa krogman. when i was young, i stayed with them in aurora (sd) sometimes while my mom worked at ben franklin in "town." grandma and grandpa had lived most of their lives on the farm, but had retired to the little town of aurora by the time i came around.

they were still farmers at heart, even without the farm. sort of like me. i remember the big freezer in the "shed" and the rows and rows of canned items in the cellar. i remember christmastime, when the spare room was brimming over with baked cookies and pies and candy that grandma had been making for weeks. i remember the yard, the odd assortment of peonies and irises and rambling rose bushes placed around without a lot of thought or planning.

mostly, i remember the garden. at the time, i thought it was HUGE. i remember going out there with grandma and grandpa, and helping to weed, but mostly walking back and forth thru the rows, admiring. i remember when grandma would dig two fingers into the ground around the hill of potatoes, and find one to make for supper with the fresh peas we had just picked.

ah. i love remembering. i miss you today grandma, can hardly wait to see you again.

4 comments:

carey said...

ah, man. yep. i have pictures like these two, my brother and i posing with the little apple person that was my great grandma. she was a gardner, too, but unfortunately, i didn't get any of those genes. i'm glad you did.
i love to visit the back forty during harvest time :)

Karen said...

I love this post. That's all, I just love it. Nicely done.

K~ said...

Neat Bob! I think that is a very special moment for you. K~

Unknown said...

What an awesome memory! Thanks for sharing.