Wednesday, December 31, 2008

i give up



i am officially DONE with the coen brothers. seriously, i mean it. i don't care how much hype their next movie has, how "offbeat and hilarious" it might seem, how GOOD the poster is (and this one was pretty good)....i am not going to watch another coen brothers film. ever. even if they are from minnesota.

i submit that "fargo" was a great film.

and i liked "raising arizona" too.

everything else, i have borderline or completely HATED. so last night, i felt like charlie brown and the football when i rented yet ANOTHER coen brothers film, burn after reading.


it was, actually, not very good. yes, brad pitt is hilarious. i got over that after about the first 5 minutes. and sure, it's "offbeat." and yes, francis mcdormand is still kind of a good actress.

but much like "oh brother, where art thou" and that absolutely AWFUL "no country for old men" - i just think the movie kind of sucked. i'd like to think i'm clever and get where these guys are coming from, but somehow, somewhere, i don't.

arrrrrrrrrggggggh.

12 comments:

K~ said...

darn, I kind of wanted to see that movie too. I may check it out. But, I agree, they are just off far enough for me not to get them all the time either. K~

Karen said...

This one is on my list, too. Um, if I loved "Oh Brother" and liked "No Country" do you think I should give this a try?

bobbione8y said...

anybody who loved "no country" is someone i cannot recommmend movies to!

seriously. do NOT get it. HATED it. even though i love tommy lee jones so much.

Karen said...

Oops. Seems I confused "No Country" with "Children of Men." Never saw the former, liked the latter. :-)

Am I back in your good graces now?

I DO love "O Brother." Love. It's one of the three movies I own. That, "Sweet Home Alabama," and "Narnia."

So. Should I give "Burn" a try? As you can see, I'm really up on my cinematic experience here.

bobbione8y said...

schwew. karen, i was worried there for a sec.

you can see "burn after reading" - which was not THAT bad - if you promise not to see "no country for old men" which WAS.

okay?

Karen said...

Deal.

Or maybe I'll just watch Reese for the 50th time...

Chris said...

So, I might just like this movie then, cuz Carey & I did NOT like Smart People!:)

bobbione8y said...

seriously?!! really?!

see, i should NOT do movie reviews :)))

Chris said...

We had to force ourselves to watch the whole thing! Maybe we just aren'r "Smart People"?!?

SDGuy91 said...

I just watched burn after reading and I agree with B. I guess I'm too old to "get" this kind of humor - although it did have it's moments. Maybe it would be OK to see at the $3 cheap theater.....

Karen said...

I did love Smart People. :-)

bobbione8y said...

i think "smart people" is just code for people who spend too much time in their head :) and apparently the movie is only appealing to those who fall into that category.

i agree with dave, b.a.r. is a cheap theatre kind of thing.