Friday, December 19, 2008

eco=unfriendly=act

oh guys. i have to tell you what a DUMB thing i have done! i got a water bill yesterday for over $200! yes, that is more than an entire YEAR normally costs! apparently, i left an outside hose turned ON for the whole month of november!

arrrrgggh. heartsick. i feel like all of the strides i've made trying to be responsible and frugal with energy, etc. is gone. i cannot get this out of my head. my back yard must also be a mud pit, will not know for a few months i guess!

so.

in an effort to get back some mojo, i'm going to make chili this weekend. out of bulghur. such a strange word. but seriously, if you have never eaten it, i say TRY it. it's a very nutty flavored grain. made of wheat, i think. it looks like this:


i found the recipe on the moosewood blog. they make nice cookbooks, and hopefully good recipes. it's a big batch, so i plan to make half. ya think? note that the recipe will not take a whole lot of water :)



Red, Gold, Black and Green Chili
Total time: 35 minutes | Serves 8-10

1 cup bulghur
½ cup hot water
6 cups undrained canned tomatoes (2 28-ounce cans)

6 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
6 cups chopped onions
6 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
2 generous teaspoons ground cumin
2 generous teaspoons chili powder
2 tablespoons Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce, or ½ teaspoon cayenne

4 green bell peppers, chopped
4 cups fresh or frozen cut corn
3 cups drained cooked black beans (2 14-ounce cans)
3 cups drained cooked red kidney beans (2 14-ounce cans)
salt to taste

grated cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

Place the bulghur, hot water, and about a 2 cups of the juice from the canned tomatoes in a small saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil on high heat, then lower the heat and simmer gently.

While the bulghur cooks, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Sauté the onions, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and Tabasco or cayenne. When the onions are soft, stir in the bell peppers and sauté for 3-4 minutes more. Chop the tomatoes right in the can and add them to the pan. Stir in the corn and beans, and heat thoroughly on low heat. Taste the bulghur. When it is cooked but still chewy, add it to the pan with its liquid. Cover and simmer for a few minutes for the flavors to meld. Add salt to taste.

Serve plain or topped with grated cheese and fresh cilantro, and possibly with warmed tortillas, or tortilla chips and crudités.

Reprinted and adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home, Copyright ©1994 by Moosewood, Inc., Simon & Schuster/Fireside, publishers.

7 comments:

Karen said...

Well, I think that cooking with bulghur totally makes up for wasting a month's worth of water. :-)

I have some in the cupboard, and I just bought a whole case of organic tomatoes on sale, so I think I may give this a go. If you get it done first, let me know how it goes.

bobbione8y said...

a YEARs worth of water karen. it is HORRIBLE!

1,400 gallons a DAY! 38 THOUSAND GALLONS!

bulghur will not make up for it :( still reeling.

will let you know if it's good tho...!

carey said...

Do you suppose a person could substitute bulghur with beef? :)

Karen said...

EVERYONE screws up. Thankfully, you get a do-over. I think you have to let it go. I hope you can.

DeAnn said...

Oh man. I think the chili will help you forget about the water incident. It sounds good, something to eat during a blizzard. Oh yeah, like the one we are getting tomorrow. Better quick get the ingredients.

cherk said...

Sorry about the water, it will be ok. I keep forgetting my cool bags I bought for groceries-so not so eco-friendly over here either

Unknown said...

we must have expensive water here in the village, my bill is almost $80 a month, but I guess that includes sewer and garbage, too.

one of my dear teacher friends hubby is a water plant manager. I just got their Christmas card, if I see him I will tell him it was a complete accident, that guy is super psycho about water...I think of him every time I forget to turn the hose off in the summer