Wednesday, August 01, 2007

stash



DeAnn was wondering about a good salsa recipe. which is a good question, because my recipe from last year was too sweet, and had too much vinegar in it. i found THIS recipe, along with rave reviews, on the internet. so, i'm using part of my stash and making some ASAP, probably around friday. i especially love the name of it!

Wonderful Salsa
Makes 6 pints or 3 quarts

8 cups tomatoes, peeled,chopped and drained
2 1/2 cups onions, chopped
1 1/2 cups green peppers
1 cup jalapeno peppers, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons pepper
1/8 cup canning salt
2 T. sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
1/4 cup minced cilantro, optional

1. Mix all together and bring to a slow boil for 10 min.
2. Seal in jars and cook in hot water bath for 10 min.
3. The cumin in this makes it hot so when I want a milder salsa I just omit the cumin.

7 comments:

Karen said...

Can't wait to hear about it!

I heard that airlines will put your tupperware container of salsa in their fridge. You know, so it arrives fresh when you get to your friend Karen's house.

bobbione8y said...

ha ha ha.

how about we just go to the farmers market and MAKE OUR OWN?

perhaps having a glass of wine whilst doing so, and making carey do the bulk of the work :))

DeAnn said...

Ohhhhhhhh, thank you!

I tried Karen's recipe and I think it turned out okay...it tastes pretty tomatoe-y...is that normal or maybe did I add too many tomatoes? I'm printing this one out and keeping in my stash as well. Maybe one of these days, I'll perfect this salsa thing.

bobbione8y said...

well, too tomatoey is good. just add more lime juice, more onions, and more peppers :)

ha ha.

it IS a challenge, but i agree that cilantro (i also like a bit of cumin in there) make it better.

have fun!

Unknown said...

Do you need some jalepenos? I have a ton, I think I forgot to plant any regular mild green peppers...

DeAnn said...

I've gotten so into this fresh veggie thing, I made my hubby help me section of a piece of the backyard for next years crop. I'll be asking for help in that area when the time comes!

MMMM, wish I could get some of those jalapenos! Thanks for all the great salsa recipes, I'm having a blast with them!

Karen said...

Just made this one again! I did extra jalps and no sugar, lots of cilantro and the juice of one fresh lime.

The best part of the whole thing was searching your blog for the recipe. A nice Saturday afternoon walk down memory lane. Someone really should publish us as a book..