Thursday, August 09, 2007

is it winding down, or gearing up?

lately, i look forward to thursdays. that is the day when i give myself permission to do the stuff i like to do the best. well, maybe not THE BEST, but the stuff other than my job that seems to be calling me more and more.

used to be, i'd work, or think about work, about 5.5 days a week. monday thru friday, and starting again on sunday afternoon when the thoughts of the upcoming work week would start cropping up. since i've been "home" i have noticed a startling shift in my "work week."

now, i start getting ready for the weekend on thursdays. i try to have all the heavy lifting, workwise, done by then, or there is a good chance i won't get it done at all. why? because the rest of my life cannot be contained by just saturday and sunday anymore, and really, not even by a three day weekend, especially in the summertime.

so, i need thursdays too. oh sure, i have a website to design today, and some signage for a client of mine. in fact, i really must get going on that right away. but here's the rest of my list of "to dos" today:


1) dealing with the sweet corn. thanks to the generosity of a Montrosian, i have 12 nice ears to enjoy. problem is, they say you should eat sweet corn right away after you pick it. and since i am not quite ready to have a dozen ears of corn for lunch, i will prepare and freeze this bounty sometime today.



2) dealing with the peppers. i just talked about how the pepper crop is kind of disappointing this year. not enough big green peppers for cooking and eating. but since i decided to "go gourmet" and planted a bunch of varieties, i DO have a nice little assortment of weird peppers that probably taste good. so, i need to chop and freeze these guys today as well.



3) coffee with my friend sher. okay, no coffee for me YET, but conversation. i have been meaning to chat with her one-on-one for about 3 weeks, and even though she is RETIRED, she is always too busy. so, todays's the day. no backing out.



4) date with Carey at the Fair. i love the Fair. even though the Sioux Empire Fair doesn't really feel like a true fair, it's kind of on the smallish side. there are, however, carnies and bad food. oh. and chris daughtry. and no doubt all of the odd assortment of people that hang out at fairs. the kind of once-a-year enjoyment that i really cannot imagine missing.

schwew. i am tired just thinking about it. better get rolling on the day, because if there is time, i'd like to hit a nice garage sale that starts at 1:00 this afternoon. i guess that at this rate, i'll need to start my weekend on wednesdays pretty soon.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wednesdays sound like a great start to the weekend...so do you blanch them peppers before you freeze them?

bobbione8y said...

no. peppers are an "odd" veggie, in that they keep best if you just pick them, wash them, and pop em into the freezer. my mom even freezes them whole (well, takes the seeds out) if she wants to make stuffed peppers!

btw, got the corn blanched, and 4 small bags ready for the freezer BEFORE 8 am.

off to a good start :)

carey said...

What is this word "Blanch"? I thought it was just on old lady from The Golden Girls...

DeAnn said...

Just so I have my cooking terms right...does it mean to boil the corn for just a few minutes? I did the corn in the freezer thing last year...I didn't know there was an official term for the process. Carey, you make me laugh! I think the old lady Blanch is much more entertaining the the cooking blanch!

bobbione8y said...

i actually think the cooking blanch is MORE exciting than blanche dubois....that's her official name.

and yes, it's cooking the veggies for a short period of time, to help them stay better in the freezer.

4 minutes for corn. then a few minutes in cold water....

what else can we learn today?!

he he.

Unknown said...

I wanna be like you b! I didn't even have my coffee ready by 8 am, but I did get some blogging done?!?!?!

Carey, I almost peed my pants when I read your comment...he he he. We really need to have that salsa/nada margarita party...