Monday, August 13, 2007

back to basics


well, this is a Monday i guess. the darned computer cancer that struck my machine a couple weeks ago went on a rampage again and ate 42 GIG of memory over the weekend.

so, i'm on a crappy old laptop, sitting in an uncomfortable chair, wondering how to work today without my "usual" situation.

i guess i'll start by blogging about the soup i made this weekend.

tomato basil.
mmmmmmmmmmmm good.

2-3 T. olive oil
1 small onion
3 cloves garlic
3 T. white wine
2-3 T. basil, fresh chopped
1 tsp. dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1 qt. tomatoes
1 T. brown sugar
1/2 c. whipping cream

saute onion and garlic in olive oil. add wine, and reduce liquid down. add spices and tomatoes, heat tomatoes to boiling.

when tomatoes boil, remove from heat, and puree in blender until smooth. (here's a tip: NEVER fill the blender too full with hot liquids. not only will you give yourself a big surprise with burns from the liquid, your ceiling will never be the same. not that i would know anything about that :))

place puree back into saucepan, add whipping cream and brown sugar, and enjoy! you can add a bit of chopped basil into the mixture at this point if you really like basil :)

try this. you will LOVE it.

10 comments:

Karen said...

Can you eat this?

I am SO making it for dinner tonight. Thanks!

bobbione8y said...

oh Karen.

i am so not following that dang diet anymore.

too restrictive, and not enough results.

so yes, i am eating tomato basil soup.

i am believing the white wine is the key to it's goodness.

:)

Karen said...

I cannot WAIT to eat this soup. Do you think that 6 big farmers' market tomatoes will be enough??

Karen said...

and what kind of onion???

Karen said...

oh, and happy to hear you get to EAT again! :-) I saw a bunch of stuff in a health food store this weekend that made me think of you....but you've already explored that route, right??

Unknown said...

mmmmmmmmm, heartburn city... this one is for after the baby comes...I will bookmark it.

bobbione8y said...

i used a small red onion from my garden.

karen, i'm not sophisticated enough to think about different kinds of onions :)

use your discretion whilst choosing!

he he.

Karen said...

Thank you! That was excellent, and even my Campbell's Tomato Soup crowd loved it. Next time I need a double batch. :-)

bobbione8y said...

oh good. glad you liked it.

i was hoping it was not just me :)

i am going to make it with grilled cheese sandwiches next time, with some cool cheese like goat cheese.

i read that somewhere, it's not my idea :))

Karen said...

Mmmmmm. I love goat cheese, or, yeah, any cheese.

We had it with whole-grain cheese quesadillas(sp?). Also, I used fat free 1/2 and 1/2. Not as fun, but it was still quite yummy.