Tuesday, June 12, 2007

God and cilantro



it's really funny how the Lord consistently uses the garden to teach me about Him. this morning, He gave me an interesting analogy about cilantro, thought i would share it with you.

see, lately He's been working on me concerning my will. even though MANY times i have prayed "YOUR will be done" - i have never really been comfortable with the truth of it. i guess somehow deep inside, i was afraid somehow that HIS will would cause hardship and strife that i couldn't bear, even if it WAS for my ultimate good. plus, i think my own ideas are pretty swell, usually.

thru not feeling well, He is showing me the goodness of His will. He is showing me how it's NOT scary to give up my own idea about what is best in exchange for His plan. He is showing me His will being done in my life feels better than my own plan.

anyway, back to the cilantro. last year i bought a big antique washtub, and decided to use it for an herb garden. it's very pretty. this spring, i planted alot of seeds in there, and a couple of plants that i bought too. they are all in various stages of growth now, and since i wanted cilantro, there is a little tuft of it growing there (upper left corner). this garden is my design, my plan, and it looks pretty nice i think.

early on, not too far away from the washtub, i noticed some little seeds sprouting out of the concrete on my sidewalk. i left them there, mostly because i was lazy, but also because i kind of like haphazard looking things. the strangest thing is that now i see that i have a WHOLE CILANTRO GARDEN growing out of the cracks in the pavement. not only is it healthier and larger than the cilantro in the tub, but it also brings beauty to something that i never thought would be beautiful, my old cement walkway.

Kind of like His will. our own plans might be good enough for us, but HIS will still gives us the desires of our hearts, in unexpected places, bringing beauty to things that we never thought could be beautiful.

ahhhhh. a good lesson to start the day with.
may God give you a surprise cilantro bed in your life also!

6 comments:

Karen said...

Seriously. That's so cool, Bob, how He talks to you. I need to slow waaaaay down and just listen. And, I guess, look!

Karen said...

Again. Cilantro hummus. Can you eat hummus? I swear that cilantro hummus is the best thing I've ever tasted in my LIFE.

bobbione8y said...

i love hummus. what is hummus?

a chick pea right?
i will check!

Karen said...

Chick peas and tahini. Check tahini, I think it's derived from sesame seeds.

DeAnn said...

This is the first time in my life that cilantro brought tears to my eyes! How is it that you write just what I need to hear?! After the bad day I had today, I think tomorrow's menu calls for a recipe with CILANTRO...yep, and it's making me smile already!

K~ said...

So So neat! K~