Wednesday, March 11, 2009

deep fried diet

you all know i'm all for "home made" whenever one can. which should be all of the time, but some days, it's just hard to think ahead enough to cook ahead.

yesterday was such a day for me. luckily, i bought a package of bear creek tortilla soup mix at the grocery store last weekend. again, i don't advocate eating soup from a bag much, but hey, it's not exactly the mcdonalds drive thru, either.


i've made this before, and it's pretty good. to jazz it up, i sauteed a chicken breast (diced) with a bit of onion, green pepper and olive oil.

but the KILLER addition is the tortilla strips (directions on the back of the box). the only bad thing is that i ate so many i got a tummy ache! seriously!


all you do is cut up some corn tortillas into strips, then heat some canola oil up on the stove and "deep fry" them - they fry fast, in about 30 seconds. i was not thrilled to glug glug glug pour all that oil into a frying pan. but to be honest, only a few tablespoons were gone when it was all over. a light dusting of salt, and oh my.

natch, i was too excited to eat the soup, and forgot to take a pic. trust me, it looked good :)

5 comments:

carey said...

have you tried karen's mexican corn chowder yet? YUMMO. i think it would be good with your little fried delight as well.

bobbione8y said...

yeah - i know!

but the point was that i did not have time to make something home made :)

Karen said...

52 degrees warmer here than there today. I'm sorry. I hope spring visits you soon!

I'm starving. I decided to lose a couple of pounds instead of buy a whole new wardrobe, and all I can think of is food, food, food. Seriously, I'm dyin over here.

cherk said...

This soup mix is awesome and so easy to add to it. I made very nice chicken enchilada soup, not quite home made but an excellent easy quick meal.

By the way when it comes to wardrobe or diet?? I go with work out more and still get the wardrobe. Giving up favorite foods is so UNnatural

Karen said...

Yes, but I've been wearing ONE pair of jeans all winter long. This is ridiculous, and it has to change.

I will make these for the kids on our next taco night, though. No sense in everyone suffering.