Monday, July 16, 2007

plum happy





i got a good deal (.97 a pound) on plums last week, so i decided to make plum jam. my grandma used to have a big plum tree in her yard, and i never really cared for plums.

now i LOVE the flavor! i did kind of screw up the jam, i put less sugar in (can you make jam healthy?) and it did not gell up that good. so, it's kind of a runny jam, but the color and flavor is fantastic.

it reminds me of one of my favorite books, Quite a Year for Plums. by bailey white, of NPR fame. i think reading her books (Mama Makes Up Her Mind is another great one!) is part of the reason i have a fascination in my heart for the south. the books are set in georgia, and the characters are "quirky" southerners to say the least.

ah. would love to have a wooded yard with a front porch and a mint julep right now!
too bad it's monday morning and time for work or i would go there in my head for sure :))

happy day.

1 comment:

Karen said...

You know, you could always call it Plum Syrup.. My ma has done that before with jam that didn't jell. I bet that stuff would rock on a whole grain pancake.