Wednesday, December 06, 2006

one small step


how come a 45 minute lunch feels more like a lifetime of change?

probably cause i felt my heart jump out of my body, i am officially a "mentor" after lunch today. i have been thinking about volunteering for about 2 years, esp. since i started doing projects for the united way. about a month ago, finally something in me said "do it now" (hmmmm, who would THAT be?)

so today i met J. she is 9 and goes to 4th grade. she is blonde and blue eyed and had an abercrombie fitch tshirt on with a sparkly butterfly pin. as we sat down to eat, she noticed it kind of "matched" my butterfly ring.

and there you have it. one heart, ready to fall hook, line and sinker. the thing is, i'm not a natural for this mentor stuff. i am the kind of person who gravitates towards cats, and maybe gerbils. kids? no way...too scary. i did not even babysit when i was younger! i don't do kids.

luckily, the Lord KNOWS this, and gave me one who reminds me alot of one i know that lives over in minnesota ;)) the counselor at the school says she will be "easy".

good thing for me, i'm a beginner.

6 comments:

Cassie said...

it's like the matching dangly bracelets! remember?!

you are an awesome mentor, no matter the age. that is one lucky little 4th grader :o)

bobbione8y said...

yes! i thought of the dangly bracelets Cass!!

oh boy, how come opening up seems so HARD when it's pretty much always good?

:) thanks for reminding me that it will be okay.

carey said...

i'm proud of you. i bet J will love ALL your sparkly, shiny, dangly things. i have a feeling she might just mentor you a little bit, too...

bobbione8y said...

that is exactly what phillip said when i described the meeting with him :)

oh cass, it just occurred to me you thought i meant YOU in minnesota! but my friend kirsten has a nine year old daughter in st paul, i was referring to HER in this post!

you and i were ROOMMATES, remember?

he he.

okay. i am old.

Cassie said...

ha ha! You just have mentees everywhere!! and yes - I totally miss you as a roommate! :o)

Karen said...

The teacher ALWAYS learns more than the student, Bob. Undoubtedly, you are about to be blessed!!!