Monday, September 28, 2009

weekend away

sigh. to think we almost didn't go on a wonderful "adventure" because of work. i have to remember that i will forget the working long before the adventures! saturday, we picked our shots (lots to choose from) and decided to spend the day in the crossroads arts district in downtown kansas city. it seemed to just fit our style best. a short jog from the hotel in kristie's bug, and there we were. this was the webster house, an 1885 schoolhouse that had been renovated into a cute antique shop.


the sights were just what my eyes needed. since downtown kc is an old warehouse district combined with modern architecture, it made my eyes happy :)


a shot of my travel companions. someday, i'll take real pics of PEOPLE. denis, janet, and lou...looking at the goodies.


possibly my favorite street of the day. this artist's studio was closed, but i really didn't care because i loved the patio.

lunch at lidia's - apparently she is famous and has a pbs tv show. dunno, but the place was gorgeous, and the food was fun, too!


even the street posts are artsy!


hammerpress studio. this place was a destination. turns out i had their shop "bookmarked" in my design files, didn't even know that when we went there. lots of lovely letterpress, with overprints and cool vintage photos and type, and one piece of art that called my name. will show it to you later in the week.


friendly neighborhood dog, except for the 'beware of dog' sign :)



oh my heavens. that is my quote of the weekend. especially when we went to this all-natural snow cone shop in a vintage shasta trailer! let me tell ya, this concept fueled some fantasy new business ideas for lou and i for quite a few hours!


sunday, we were off early to st. joseph, to meet up with kristie's very cute grandpa and step-grandma. so much fun to meet family of friends!


then, off again to try to meet up with the rest of the paulsen bus, where kristie's co-workers were headed to the omaha zoo. although by then, i was pretty tired from the weekend, we did manage to sqeeze in a couple of exhibits. i fell in love with this teeny fluffy african bird.


great time! we are already planning a longer trip back in the future. what a great country God has given us!! makes me excited to go 'sploring even more whenever i get the chance.

5 comments:

Karen said...

Wow! I thought of you both over the weekend, wondering what adventures you were having. I hope you have returned refreshed and determined to stay out of the work-only bubble. I love that I get to "see" what you did!

carey said...

yay! fun wins! i am glad you went. looks like it was just what the doctor ordered.

hope you aren't feeling the pain of re-entry this morning.

K~ said...

wow. what a nice trip you had. it looked so fun! I love the bird too ;-) Hope you have a nice week. i am sitting in a blanket with Bing snoring next to me, catching up on my ravelry, facebook and blogging. K~

Anonymous said...

This made me smile. Loved the pictures and your sweet memories of KC. :)

Karen said...

DO NOT go back into the work bubble. Come back to us!