Tuesday, September 15, 2009

6-week love affair


well, it's almost come to an end. the summer love affair with the ever temptable tomato.

clearly, it begins the same every year. the seed catalogue shopping, the seed planting, the greenhouse shopping, the planting, nurturing, waiting and salivating.

and by about august 1st every year, the waiting pays off. there is NOTHING like the taste of summer's first tomato.

including the taste of september's last tomato. which i am READY to see. after 6 weeks of eating them nearly every day, sometimes multiplied by 2, i am sick of 'em. totally.

the last of them went out with a bang tonite, and turned into some rocking salsa, courtesy my friend kristi. who also rocked the garden this year, i hear. thanks dear! i modified her recipe slightly, for what i had on hand. i also left the seeds in the jalapenos (not sure if i was supposed to or not) so they have a nice kick to them. not too hot, though, and very delish flavor.

see ya next year, maters!


Kristi's Corn and Bean Salsa

10 cups tomatoes peeled, chopped and drained
2 1/2 cups onions, chopped (I use sweet onions)
1 1/2 cups green peppers, chopped
1 1/2 cups jalapeno peppers, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 cup canning salt
1/3 cup vinegar
1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
1 (15 ounce) can black beans , drained and rinsed
2 cups frozen corn

Directions:
1 . Mix all together and bring to a slow boil for 10 minutes.
2 . Seal in sterilized jars and cook in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.

9 comments:

KMOSS said...

I made your blog! YEAH! Glad it turned out for you. I think it might be my new favorite salsa recipe.

bobbione8y said...

:) hey, if you shared more recipes with me, i'd be blogging about you all the time!

i laughed, when i realized this already IS my salsa recipe, sans the beans and the corn. no wonder i like it so much :))

Karen said...

I'm mourning my stint as a tomato farmer now. I think I just don't get enough sun, and as a result the tomatoes come trickling instead of pouring in.

I think I might go buy the tomatoes to make this. And then pass them off as my own.

Shhh.

Karen said...

Also, how many "K" or K-sounding friends can one woman HAVE??

bobbione8y said...

Klassy friens, i have :)

KMOSS said...

Karen - not sure if you've connected with who I am, but I was Carey's roommate for the couple of years she lived in Sioux Falls before she moved to Montrose.

Remember the cute little brick house across from the hospital?

bobbione8y said...

plus, my mom's name is karen. wow. what a tangled web we weave :)

KristieLou said...

I guess you are just ment to have "K" friends!!!

Karen said...

Kristi! Of course I remember you, but no, I had not put that connection together!

What a small little blogworld, eh?

:-)