Saturday, August 23, 2008

4 + 6 = good


wow. i never thought about being 46 before. i guess i'd better, since tomorrow is the day. you know how when you are younger and you kind of just deceive yourself into thinking the next decade will never even happen to you? i'm starting to deceive myself with half decades now. so "late forties" is a weird term that somehow should not apply to the young hip girl i still think of myself as on the inside.

anyway, it's not so bad. some things are WAAAY better. like not worrying about how you look so much (although the 27 pounds that the doc told me i gained this last year is certainly not something to turn my back at!). and of course, i have the Lord now. which makes even the crummy stuff easier. really, His yoke IS light, i can attest to that. if i would just remember it all the time, i'd probably have a few less wrinkles.

as a birthday gift to all of you wonderful bloggirls out there (and dave :)), here's a recipe i tried last night. if somebody will tell me how to make home made alfredo sauce, it might be even better, but i swear i thought i was at an italian restaurant in my own home.

oh ps. i usually suck at pasta dishes.
happy birthday to me!




Sun Dried Tomato Alfredo and Chicken

2-3 chicken breasts (mine were still frozen)

Place in crock pot and pour over the following:

1 jar Classico Sun Dried Tomato Alfredo Sauce
a couple of splashes of good white wine
lots of dried basil from the garden
several sun dried tomatoes in olive oil (mine were just-harvested, thus the reason for the recipe)

cook on high for about 1-1/2 hours; then low to finish (about 3-4 hours).

serve with whole wheat pasta, the best baguette you can find to sop up the sauce, and however much leftover wine the situation calls for.

ummmmmmmmm.

13 comments:

K~ said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOB!!! (24th :-)

I will not be able to wish this to you tomorrow,

but have a GREAT, WONDERFUL, RESTFUL, FUN, SHOPPING?? kind of day!!

LOVE YOU VERY MUCH, K~

bobbione8y said...

that was quick my dear!

i hope we can have a "together" celebration of BOTH our birthdays, yet before the snow flies :))

wow. you are gone a LONG time!


me

Karen said...

Happy birthday! Did you sun-ripen that tomato yourself??? The recipe looks great, will have to try it after I recover from all the eating Mel and I did.

Anne said...

Happy Birthday!
Here is my recipe (made up, of course) for Alfredo. It is easy and good!

Serves my family (5) with leftover for lunch the next day. WARNING: Horrible for you! Make rarely.
- 1 8oz block of cream cheese
- 8Tbsp. butter (1 stick)
- 1 pint or 1 quart of heavy cream (sometimes more is better)
- Fresh parsley (for pretty)
- White pepper (for zing)
- 2-3C. Parmesan Cheese (more or less to taste)
Melt the cream cheese and butter together in a saucepan over low heat slowly adding the cream as they start to melt. (Cream cheese and butter melting together looks really gross. THIS IS NORMAL) Stir constantly with a wooden spoon. Once it is melted, add white pepper and parsley, simmer it together for a time over low heat till hot. Remove from heat and add Parmesan. You can add more Parmesan if you want it thicker, more cream if you want it thinner. Voila!

:) Anne

Karen said...

Holy crud, Anne. My butt got bigger just READING that recipe!

Anne said...

Well now Karen... what did you THINK was in Alfredo!?! and BaHahaha good response!

Karen said...

Anne-- I always knew, but I never KNEW. I think you may have ruined it for me. :-)

Chris said...

Hope you are having a fabulous b-day lady!

DeAnn said...

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I can't wait to make the recipe. Have yourself a great day!

:))))

Lisa said...

Happy Birthday Bobbie-
Hope you have a fabulous day!!
Lisa

zema said...

Hope you had a wonderful birthday.
I love the glasses!
Zema

bobbione8y said...

hey annie!

thanks for the recipe!

i did just check the back of the classico label. 720 calories per JAR, instead of per spoonful :)

ha.

i will try yours sometime though because it sounds. absolutely. to. die. for.

i hope not literally ;)

cherk said...

Sorry I am late, Happy happy birthday