Sunday, April 27, 2008

one more time






well, i officially made it thru the april '08 blizzard. now, if we can just make it thru the inevitable may '08 blizzard (yep, i'm holding out for one more) - we'll be in the clear.

most of the plants did fine, although one wimpy walmart plant and a tomato plant did not see the joy in 4" of frozen snow...oh well. the daffodils were AMAZING. they were icey and covered completely. one day later, they are fine. i want to be a daffodil :)

i've got a few things in the greenhouse, some seeds i planted last week when it was in the high 7os, and a few perennials i bought yesterday at the Lutheran Church plant sale. i hear that lutherans are pretty good gardeners, so i bought some bee balm, and a globe thistle and some unnamed perennial grass that was reddish green. hopefully i'll get some more things going this week. not sure if it's too early or too late for the greenhouse. obviously i need some training :) but it looks good, and is functional. gotta paint it, but will save that for warmer times.

yesterday i decided to impress phil with my culinary expertise. i made a lovely dinner of roasted potatoes, honey lime chicken (made up the recipe myself!) and garlic bread. i forgot, however, that he had to work late. so he ate heated up gourmet food at 8pm last night....he said it was still pretty tasty. i'm looking forward to getting back to healthy eating, we have been doing a few too many pizzas lately.

speaking of healthy, does anybody have a george foreman grill? i think i'm going to go buy one today, they are on sale at target (kristie, stay away ;)) my outdoor grill sucks, and phil does not have much time to cook these days, so i'm thinking an indoor option might be better. and quicker. tell me if you think that is dumb.

k. enough for middle of the weekend nonsense posts. see you next week!

8 comments:

KristieLou said...

I have a George Foreman. It's o.k. It is not as good as grilling outside. You have to be careful to not over-cook the food. It can get dry really fast!

I am staying away from Target today. Katie is coming over to concept. Too much work to do.

Hey I was thinking about having a garage sale. Do you want to have one with me?

Chris said...

I have two George Foreman's. I like them, but I did have to adjust cooking time because they get really hot. I have a small one and a big one that I use inside and outside. I love them, they are easy to clean. The bummer of it though, is no matter how hard you try, it isn't the same as the real outdoor experience. It is healthier though. Maybe start with a small one before you get a bigger one and see what you think. Just never shut the lid, on the small one, on fish. That cooks it way too fast. You will learn the tricks, but it will take some mishaps first.

bobbione8y said...

thanks girls!

i bought the $39.99 one, i think it's kind of middle-sized. i am worried about stuff drying out, so i will be careful.

i have some steak marinating right now! we'll see :)

Karen said...

You ARE a daffodil! Holy crap, you guys have survived such a crappy winter. BTW--West River Mel has no sympathy. He would gladly trade weather just to get some moisture and said to tell you, "It just builds character." He's always been big on character. :-)

Greenhouse pics, please.

bobbione8y said...

he he.

perhaps the greenhouse is underwhelming, but that IS it in the pic. made from 7 remnant storm windows. it's about 5 feet wide x 5 feet tall. should be a good addition to the garden this summer.

Karen said...

OH! I didn't even see that picture! I guess I got stuck on the daffodils.

Whose idea was it? It's really cool and I'm sure I would never, ever have thought of it. Please come to Virginia. Soon.

Karen said...

Actually, please come to Alabama (it's not too late!). The Monkey needs a terrarium for boy scouts, and his lame mother can't even get a juice container with a big enough opening to stick his hand in. Maybe you and Phil could make him something out of popsicle sticks or yarn or something.

K~ said...

Hey, I love it. I want one of those, please. K~