Tuesday, April 22, 2008

God is green


you know how every once in awhile, a fleeting thought kind of tugs at you, and you know deep inside it probably has something to do with God, and maybe even why you're here?

usually when this happens, we allow ourselves a second or two to dream about the possibility God places in each of our hearts, then we just let it slip out of our grasp. we go back to the world, instead of remaining in the realm of possibility, the place God is.

that's how it is for me with earth day. every year on earth day, i dream. i dream about the world that God created, and how important it is to be good stewards of the earth. i dream about growing up in the 70s, where all the videos about the earth's destruction that we viewed in geography class sunk in deep. i dream about the joy in my heart when i go outside to a garden of amazing creations, and it calms my soul and tells me Who is in charge of things.

and i wonder. wonder about the Awesome Creator of all things. and wonder about myself, too. i pose myself the question: if i could do anything besides dream, what would i do? would i go out and do something with my hands, and grow things, and lead people to the peace that comes from being in the center of God's handiwork? would i simply grow a garden with little kids, or old people, just be in community, and would we all just "see" Him? would we talk about the beginnings of the earth, and the stuff about creation that is thrust at us in school, and is not exactly truth? would i have dirty hands every day, and feel more alive?

i have recently been given the challenge/opportunity to work with a client to define "going green" as a viable option for rural communities. what does rural sustainability look like? what does one actually DO in small-town SD to make a difference in the world? it's a big question, a culturally popular one, but also one that melds with being a Christian, with living in accordance with the Bible. After all, Genesis is really where all of the ideas about "green" living actually came from, right?

The LORD God took the man
and put him in the Garden of Eden
to work it and take care of it.
Genesis 2:15

Anyhoo, here are some links i am going to check out today, Christian organizations dedicated to the environment:

http://www.restoringeden.org/
http://www.creationcare.org/
http://en.arocha.org/about/index9.html
http://cesc.montreat.edu/ceo/CEA/

happy earth day everyone!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Wow. I love your dream. I would come and hang out, hands dirty, in your garden. I would feed your worms my coffee grounds (there are a lot), and I would read my stories to the children while they dig and plant and grow.

Please keep us posted on the progress of your dream.

K~ said...

What a neat opportunity bob. Please keep me up on things. I need to get out of the house. My neighbor said something funny to me. She said, you got to get out of your house more, or you'll turn into a troll. K~