Monday, December 31, 2007

resolve


as the old year winds down, my thoughts today have naturally tended toward turning over a new leaf...in so many ways. there are things that i want to improve. better eating and exercise habits, better financial management, better time management, better mood management, better, better, better.

i AM looking forward to 2008. i am hopeful for this upcoming year. in many ways i have been waiting for this 2008 for most of my life. i have been content with 2007, but there were hard things too, as every year holds. i'm sure there will be hardships in 2008 also, but i am glad that the Lord gives us new beginnings.

on sunday, our pastor gave a really good sermon on Psalm 119. it's the longest Psalm in the bible, 176 verses. for some reason, it really struck my heart. i printed it out, and have been meditating on it for the last 24 hours...

it occurred to me that i want to have new year's resolutions. i NEED to have new year's resolutions. i think we all do. but instead of making a bunch of promises i can never hope to keep, i started to think about some of the promises that David made in Psalm 119. promises to meditate on the Word, and to follow God with all his heart.

i wondered why THIS PSALM struck me so much now, at this time in my life. crazy the way the Lord talks to our hearts sometimes. anyway, this afternoon, i noticed that a particular section of Psalm 119 seemed to fit what i am experiencing. i share it with you, in hopes you might go and read the whole of it on your own sometime.

You are my portion, O LORD;
I have promised to obey your words.

I have sought your face with all my heart;
be gracious to me according to your promise.

I have considered my ways
and have turned my steps to your statutes.

I will hasten and not delay
to obey your commands.

Though the wicked bind me with ropes,
I will not forget your law.

At midnight I rise to give you thanks
for your righteous laws.

I am a friend to all who fear you,
to all who follow your precepts.

The earth is filled with your love, O LORD;
teach me your decrees.

Psalm 119:57 - 64

anyway, i'm not sure if i will even stay up til midnight tonite. it always seems like a good idea, until about 11:15 when my body wants to go to sleep! in any case, i know that i have the unbelievable honor of rising in the morning to a new day, a new life, and new chance to be a better version of myself, thanks to the Lord.

love you all, happy 2008!

3 comments:

Chris said...

Happy New Year to you too! I agree, people do need to start anew, that is what is so great about New Years. I love wiping away the year before, and looking forward to new things. Did you stay up? I did, but man I was tired!

Karen said...

I will read this tonight, after the kids and in-laws are tucked in bed.

bobbione8y said...

i am going to start saying "happy new day" all year long. i kind of like that better :)

spent the new year with the boy in the car in the freezing cold watching fireworks. it was kinda nice, but i was in bed by 12:05!

:)