Thursday, April 15, 2010

fly me away



so, i placed an order for some more flower seeds today. i have decided to break up the back garden space a bit, and plant some more flowers, and a few less veggies. last year, i had a weedy mess for some of the garden, specifically the melons, which take up a lot of space. this year, i'll buy a cantaloupe at the farmer's market, and call it good.

so, i am excited for the 2 plants above, joe pye weed and butterfly (milk) weed. both are said to attract butterflies. the joe pye weed gets HUGE, will plant it up against the neighbor's fence. i love the purple and orange, don't you?

just for fun, i also got:


lemon bee balm


4 o'clocks - a wonderful annual that reminds me of my grandma


light blue star morning glories


a special breed of california poppies,
from diane of diane's heirloom seeds.

I am excited to have more color in the garden this year. although i love my perennial beds, they do tend to have periods of inactivity, depending on the bloom seasons. annual flowers from seed are just so old school, they do require patience, but in the end, are better than almost anything you can buy at the greenhouse.


:)) happy thursday!

6 comments:

cherk said...

I love your green thumb-especially because I don't have one! I to like to get flowers that remind me of a grandma, she always had all kinds of things blooming! Happy Thursday

Karen said...

The orange guys at the top are AMAZING. The four o'clocks remind me of my mom. :-)

We tore out the hideous, 30-year old shrubs along the side of the garage and I need you to come help me figure out what to plant there. Unfortunately, that bed (and all the others) only gets a couple hours of sunlight each day.

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see them in person.

My tulips are almost there...almost.

carey said...

awesome bob. you are hired to help me figure out this big ol' pile of dirt! now THAT is a project.

and karen, have you considered hastas?

Karen said...

Carey, I have 42 hastas. I love them, but I need some variety.

bobbione8y said...

karen, try googling 'shade gardens' and see if you can find some offerings...i know better homes and gardens has for many years offered up that kind of group plantings...


http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/m955113-product.html