Thursday, April 22, 2010

the $1 chair


these spring days have been flying by quickly. yesterday i got to have lunch with my bff carey, which is really kind of a rare occurence. we were talking about how we are looking for God this summer, which really only happens by choice. she has had a number of sightings recently, and i have had a call to become more of a 'looker.' not sure what or when or how, but a desire to look for Him in everyday opportunities, instead of only looking for my own stuff.

Such is the generation of those who seek him, who seek your face, O God of Jacob.
Psalm 24:6


it is true that those who look for God find Him. it's such a simple thing, really. on the way back from lunch, i was pondering the meaning, and i decided to swing by my local VOA thriftstore.

as i pulled up to the parking lot, i saw the crack-cocaine-like sign that every thrifter dreams of: $1.00 for all chairs.

the parking lot was FULL of chairs, all well loved. all singlets. all needing ME.

:)) i got out, and started making my way thru the selection (probably 50-60 chairs). there was a young guy who works at the thrift store, sitting in one of the chairs with an older woman. i started a small-talk convo with them, and the woman stated that she had found hers, it was very comfortable (it was the one she was sitting in). although she did not have a way to get it home, even though she lived close by.

cha-ching! God spotting. i quickly volunteered to bring her chair home for her. what i did not realize at the time, is that the barcalounger that she wanted was big, cumbersome, and kind of smelly :) the handicapped boy working the lot was not going to be much help, so i threw my back out and got it loaded all by myself.

then, she told me she didn't have a dollar either ;)

and all the while this was going on, she told me about her life. her prayer for a car so that at age 67 she could learn to drive and go to phoenix to visit her grandkids. her need for a job. her path as a single woman who picked the kind of guy you never should pick, and had 4 kids with before he left her. her cats, who had clawed her other chair up pretty badly. her daughter, who would help her pick out drapes to match it. to be quite honest, i'm pretty sure she wanted to tell her story, far more than she wanted the dang chair.

i left her with a hug and a prayer that Jesus would bless her life that day, and reassure her of His love. nothing major, in fact i am pretty sure she did not even recognize His presence. but as i got in the car and drove back home, i am pretty sure that i did.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Dude. My eyes are all teary.

I think I may just have missed one. The lady in front of me at the gas station bought SIXTY DOLLARS worth of lotto tickets. All I could think was that she was looking for something that Lotto can't buy.

But I didn't say a word.

:-(

bobbione8y said...

next time, God will give you the words. don't feel sad, He will give you another try :))

Karen said...

I know. I'm so glad! The funny thing is that I'm not afraid to talk to a complete stranger about Jesus, but apparently I AM afraid that some elderly black woman might think I'm talking to her just in case she hits the Lotto...

carey said...

Hey what a great story! So cool. Now what are you going to do with your new treasure?