Tuesday, August 25, 2009

roasted tomatoes


so in the midst of a monday, i multi-tasked and decided to try roasting tomatoes. it was easy, over the lunch hour, i diced up some onion, green pepper, basil leaves, garlic cloves...then washed and cored the tomatoes. i cut them in big chunks, then added a generous dose of olive oil and some salt.

into the oven at 300 degrees for about 3 hours.

by then, i was sick of working :) so i fished about half of the big chunks out and ran them through a sieve. then, pulsed the rest in the blender. oh, i also strained the "juice" that was left in the pan to get the majority of the seeds out.

back onto the stove for a couple of hours. the result is a really chunky marinara-like sauce. seems like it will be perfect for wintertime, especially with a couple chicken breasts and some parmesan cheese thrown in for good measure.

sigh. i have a pretty big pantry going right now. next up, potatoes. not sure what to do with those.

6 comments:

carey said...

this post made me really hungry. i bet your house smells AWESOME. it's a bummer that cereal doesn't have a smell.

Unknown said...

um, happy birthday!

sorry, I am a day late...

I never used my roasted maters, but I do love the sauce idea.

I made some today, too.

I just put my taters in a cool dry corner of the basement. I couldn't figure out how to save them well.

I guess you can pressure cook them and jar 'em up like carrots...

bobbione8y said...

yep, my basement is not really all that cool. so i am thinking i will blanche them, and freeze them for soup, scalloped, fried, etc.

wow. we are frontierswomen, Ran ;)

Karen said...

I'm fairly new to this tomato farmer gig, and I have to say that (so far) I have let my seeds just be. Is that so bad?

bobbione8y said...

nah. it kind of makes me sick if i get one caught in my teeth though. i think they are probably good for us :)

Unknown said...

I did the sieve this for the first time this year to make veggie tomato sauce. It tastes yummy.
:)
(prairie woman roar inserted here)